Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
searching for image of WM20 and Brit fighter plane

A long shot, but this is the only place that could help me.

I once saw an image of what I thought was a WM20 with a ww2 British fighter plane in the background. For the life of me I can't track it down anywhere. I thought it would make a nice picture to hang in my workshop. Does anyone remember seeing such an image? I'd love to find a copy!

Cas

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Re: searching for image of WM20 and Brit fighter plane

Your description is a bit vague, BUT, here's something that "might" be of interest?
Ian

http://a48757.wixsite.com/1942-45-bsa-wm20

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Over the years I have collected 13-14,000 military motorcycle pictures, art, postcards etc and I cannot find one in my collection. One may exist but at the moment I am still sorting them out....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

RAF 16H combos with an invasion-striped Hurricane in the IWM collection :-

photo Hurricane with RAF 16H_zpshd2aid9g.jpg

ROYAL AIR FORCE TRANSPORT COMMAND, 1943-1945.
ROYAL AIR FORCE TRANSPORT COMMAND, 1943-1945.© IWM (IWM FLM 2581)

...and I think an 'impressed' Terrot alongside a Canadian Spit.

photo Terrot spitfire_zpse0udpztf.jpg

I bet this is the picture that Cas is looking for:

photo bsa plus hurricane.jpg

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I recognise the bike in the colour picture. It's Mick Holmes (from Draganfly) I've ridden with him in Normandy...But can never keep up

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

THANKS! for all the great images. I'm almost certain that Jan's is the one. However, I remember it showing the whole bike and the fighter, so I expect its from the same shoot sequence. Maybe I should ask Mick?

Ah, you meant a modern photograph ! Everything is pretty much black and white in my world. If I look at recent photos, I spend all my time spotting inaccuracies.

It ain't easy being a rivet counter.

Haven't got any other pictures from this series Cas... Sorry...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Cas, I do have more pics of my bike with the Hurricane. The pilot was impressed with the bike so allowed me near the plane to take the photos.
Rik, you can rivet count away! I built this bike in 1984, before I knew about all the differences!
 photo various259.jpg

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

That's the one Mick! I have an old friend - a withered, grumpy Brit bike mechanic. We both ride WM20's on a daily basis, chasing grandmothers down along the bayfront! I just know he would love this image in a frame. May I please reproduce it?

Oh, now you know all the subtle differences on the WM20's, may I suggest Draganfly as the best vendor of replacement parts to make your bike more "correct". Their prices are very reasonable, shipping is quick and inexpensive and they have very knowledgeable staff to boot!

That black and white pic of the Canadian spitfire seems to have a german helmet hanging off the gun?

Invasion stripes on the wings so 1944-on; he must have been flying low to catch that helmet.

ken
That black and white pic of the Canadian spitfire seems to have a german helmet hanging off the gun?

Invasion stripes on the wings so 1944-on; he must have been flying low to catch that helmet.

Gun ?
You might get away with that elsewhere but on here they are cannons.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

What do 'Gunners' fire then Trevor ? Cannons don't cease to be guns, do they ?

The difference between a gun an a cannon is most likely the number and type of rivets used to mount them to the fuselage. We need better images of those rivets.

Hey Cas, glad you like it. I can email you the pics if you want. This M20 is staying just as it is. I now have several WD bikes which are "correct" but this one is still my favorite.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick, I didn't mean your bike in particular...it's just that with modern photos, I can't avoid wondering what shouldn't be there...and with period images I'm always searching for new evidence of how things were done.

hi Mick,
that would be lovely! Especially if they are larger resolution. BTW - love the guys in your store - they are so knowledgeable. And thanks for the "birthday belt"!

Gunners are blokes like me who never seem to get around to starting things and what they start they never finish.

There is a definition somewhere although it is a moot point ( and was originally meant in humour )
Hispanos & Oerlikons are nearly always referred to as cannons
While Bofors always seemed to be called Guns regardless of callibre

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi All
Not absolutely sure but with aircraft I thought cannon's fired exploding rounds and machine guns fired solid rounds.
Happy to be corrected.
John

The blokes who fired cannons on HMS Victory were 'Gunners'. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

"Gun" is a generic term for a projectile firing weapon, "Cannon" is a sub term, so a cannon is a gun but a gun isn't necessarily a cannon.

IMHO Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

['The term gun may refer to any sort of projectile weapon from large cannons to small firearms including those that are usually hand-held']....

It seems like there's some overlap in terminology...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1