Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 won't start

Me - I have a 626 Amal with 160 main jet. This works very well. If your bike will not start and all you have done (since running) is change the carb - then guess what? it is the carb

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Maybe it just needs a bit more fuel with the tickler. Then try it with no choke, about 1/8th throttle, retard the ignition about 1/3rd (this is always providing you have it timed correctly).......Then get the piston just past compression with the valve lifter and give it a swing like you mean it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If the engine has been rebuilt, check the torque again on the head bolts and make sure you have good compression.

Also, check the timing again before the sweat is pouring off you.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi

The bike ran on the old carby. The only thing I have done is change it to the new AMAL carby which is straight out of the box.

What should I be looking for in-regards to the setup of the new AMAL carb?

Well a brand new carb should be ready to fit and start the bike. Any fine tuning once it's warmed up.

Having said that, I just fitted a brand new Amal 276 to a friends 3HW. It started up easily enough then went all out of control as the needle jet fell out, after that the float bowl cap unscrewed itself......Turns out the firm that supplied it just loosely assemble everything.......I suppose I should have checked it, but never had to with one from Amal (Burlen Fuels) before. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The absolute best way to wreck a rebored re-ringed engine is to stuff around with carbs forever and a day before the rings have been bedded in.
So expect to have a glazed bore.
I was supposed to be leading a "mystery run" when naturally the 276 packed it in when I went to start the bike .
Being I was already late I desperately grabbed the nearest running carb which was the 932 off my B50, no adjustments other than swapping the twist grip.
I kick and it was away, when I got to the start I adjusted the throttle stop.
When I got home I adjusted the pilot screw and I ran the bike like that for about 5 years during which it ran like a rocket, idled like a pig, ate spark plugs & drank more fuel than a Rocket III, but it was fun.
In the meantime the B40 dropped it's big end so the 626 it is currently wearing became available.
Again it drinks more than the 276 did but runs a lot better , will sit on 70mph all day idles well and starts first kick every time as long as I starve it to stop if the bike will be sitting an hour or more.

There is a better than average chance that the new rings are the culprit.
See if it will fire with some starting fluid.
If it dose, slip into your hat & gloves and go for a blast to seal the rings.
Once you have done 5 to 10 miles which should be enough to bed the rings in then buggerise around with the carb tuning.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1