The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
clutch noise

Hi all.
After changing the main bearing in the gearbox the clutch has developed
a noise stationary with clutch pulled in and in gear, it sounds like rubbing the inside of a saucepan with some rough sand paper, i have checked the plates, they are in correct order and adjustment is correct.
Anyone have any ideas.
Cheers

email (option): richard.a.yard@btinternet.com

Re: clutch noise

When you checked the plates did you take a look at the inside of the primary chaincase outer? It may be you will see signs of abrasion there, coinciding with the clutch cover? I spoke recently with an owner who reported just what you describe, having done the same job as you. He had full working clutch etc, but it turned out he had not got the full clutch assembly solid up on the shaft. It turned out he had a key that had a taper on it (maybe just wear?)and unless it was fitted 'the right way' it would not let the assembly the correct full distance back on to the shaft. Although it appeared to bolt up solid. The result being that the clutch cover dome caught a slight dent in the chaincase and hence the alarming noise. It may not be your problem but..

Hi. Thanks for reply.
If I understand what your saying is that the clutch is rubbing on the outer casing?
If so why is it not making the noise when clutch is in but not in gear.
To me it sounds like I have just metal plates rubbing together with no cork plates.
Cheers...

Have you taken the outer cover off to see what is happening? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

richard yard

If so why is it not making the noise when clutch is in but not in gear.

If you have endplay on the mainshaft the whole shaft including the clutch will be pushed to the driveside.

As far as I understand there should be no endplay on the mainshaft, the shaft is fixed to the small bearing by the 2 nuts on the end of the mainshaft.

Best to take of the covers and see what is happening. Cheers, Michiel

I can only recount what was passed in conversation regarding what the other owner encountered. It sounded like a very similar condition to what you described, but obviously I was wrong and it was not the same situation. But being an unusual combination of circumstances, initially, I thought it worth passing on, but I appreciate now you had different symptoms. I would have the outer off and take a look with it running.

Hi.. Thank you all for your help.
I checked for any play in the shaft and replaced the rollers I have taken it apart since replacing the gearbox bearing because someone suggested the clutch plates maybe in the wrong order but they were correct.
I did adjust the primary chain which may have moved the clutch closer to the cover.
I will remove the cover and check.
Thanks all

I agree with btb. Made the same mistake. That pesky woodruff key only goes in one way. I put it in the wrong way and had the clutch sticking out too far which produced the same result you describe. Easy to check. After removing the 132 screws that hold the outer case, sight down vertically on the primary chain - it should run parallel to the edge of the inner chaincase.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

SORTED...Clutch not rubbing on case. After taking it all apart again and carefully checking all bits found that the new rollers I fitted to the clutch were 2mm longer than the old ones. put the old ones back in no noise.

Sounds like you had 5/16" rollers instead of 1/4". Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1