Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NORTON 16H INSIDE FACTORY.

Photo taken inside the factory despatch area very early wartime or even pre war.  photo DSC_0544_zpsb6776c15.jpg

Re: NORTON 16H INSIDE FACTORY.

Thanks Steve, very interesting. The Ni-Fe batteries indicate pre-war but further to this, colour looks to be Deep Bronze Green which pushes it back earlier than October 1938 and the rear number plate has a single bolt top fixing. The civilian models gained a twin fixing for 1937 and the records detail the WD models receiving the update a while later but I can't find my note of the date.

Mid-1937 at the latest, I suspect.

Was it a published photo ?

Hi RIK its from a book about Birmingham,its from the chapter A CITY OF A THOUSAND AND ONE TRADES,another photo shows lorries with crated bikes outside the factory,but is early 30s,there are two other wartime photos of jerrycan and aircraft production at the Austin,but the caption for the bikes inside the factory only says Motor cycles being checked over,prior to despatch Norton Motors Ltd sometime in the thirties.

This image also appeared a number of years ago now in one of the classic monthlies........it was within an article recounting the experiences of a former Bracebridge Street employee...................I have the article somewhere........

It also mentions that across the road from the factory was a building used to repair and recondition WD machines, and that how they absoluted hated any Big 4 SWD combination coming in.............

Steve,

Could you give the ISBN number of the book you saw it in?

Definitly 36/37 or early 1938!
Contract C9681 appears the last contract using the single top bolt rear number plate acc. to spares lists.
I do not believe they would have changed mid contract as it also requires a different mudguard and rear portion.
What actually happened will remain a mystery. Its not mentioned in the factory records.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Could it be this book Steve? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birmingham-Carl-Chinn/dp/1781382476

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think it's from, "Birmingham At Work" by Alton Douglas as far as I know, but can check later when I get back home from work.

Hello Steve,

If there is a reference to the source of the picture I would be glad to hear.

I would like to have an original picture of it.

Cheers,

Rob

The book this photo is from is BIRMINGHAM AT WORK by Alton Douglas,there is an acknowledgements for the photos in the book,but not individually,company names & news paper archives such as the Birmingham Mail & Post.If it was used in one of the monthlies such as classic motor cycle ,they might have a copy.

Thank you Steve,

I will see if this is a useful trail to follow.

Cheers,

Rob

Both Norton's have a field stand, was that already in use in 1937 ?
On the back wall are 3 Union Jacks stuck in a wire gate (goods lift?)
Nice picture, thanks for sharing.

The Union Jacks might relate to the coronation of King George which took place in May 1937...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Every military Norton had a field stand, from 1936 to the end in 1945.
Part of it being "military"!

A fairly useless gadget the way it was made and you really need a hard object to lean it to or the bike just falls over.
Canadians removed them after they experienced accidents caused by the unexpected falling down of it while driving. Everybody can imagine what might happen then.

It still amazes me they never improved on it. There were proper examples around, snifff.

The picture is either 1937 or 1938. Have not yet been able to find the original. Mr Alton Douglas gave me the link to Birmingham mail but they have a rather useless website to find much. Maybe they don't have it on the website but how to search then??

Anybody in the vicinity of Birmingham have the drive to make a physical visit?
Would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Royal Enfield also used that wobbly foot for the first contract of WD/C's, but thereafter they changed it for the more useful pointy field stand. Ron

Hello Ron,

At least they saw part of the problem.
It can however still fall sideways while riding!
Any known story about those being removed a well?

Who made the ruddy things? They must have come from the same factory.
More Norton stuff and RE stuff appear very similar, RE primary case even names the Norton patent!

Cheers,

Rob

Nothing will overcome that low pivot and the fact that if the rear wheel shifts, the whole thing goes base over apex.

The original spring clip on my '39 grips like a gorilla arm-wrestling...I'm puzzled by the idea that the arm could ever fall out.

Ah Rik,

You have the later "modified" clip.
That was modified for a reason.
I also have the modified clip and it does indeed need some force to get the sidestand out.

You will see many contemporary pictures of Canadians without he sidestand.
I doubt they removed them for weight gain.

Cheers,

Rob

If anyone wants to buy a clip for their Royal Enfield or Norton, the are available from Hitchcocks. Ron

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/5693?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F922

If the photo was taken by the Birmingham Mail,there is probably more than one photo taken at this location or another part of the factory in their archives,they surely would have taken more than one photo if a photographer from the Mail was present.

Hello Steve,

That is exactly what I wrote to them. Professional photographers never take just one picture.
When I was quite young I helped a friends father to make contact prints. That was a professional guy working for the Army photographic service and he easily made upto a hundred pictures on a day depending on the assignment. He developed the films at home and I helped him making contact prints of the films for the archive.

I really hope they will be more helpfull after my second request and explanation but I have not had a serious reply from them.
I have the feeling they have no inclination to help other than a repeat of the first reply, "look at website and this way you can order one".
Totally unhelpful.

Hence my remark whether somebody in the vicinity of Birmingham is willing to make a physical visit.

Cheers,

Rob

Nieuwe pagina 1