Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PULLED SUMP PLATE THREAD

Just replacing the sump plate studs and have discovered mis-matched bolts have be forced in, and one of the threads have pulled through on the enginecasing. can I re-thread with a larger thread?

Re: PULLED SUMP PLATE THREAD

Better to helicoil the threads back to the correct size...(1/4 whitworth)

The problem with drilling and tapping them oversize is...

a) you'll have to open out the holes in the sump plate, the sump plate gauze and the gaskets..
b) you'll have to make oversize studs..
c) the nuts for the oversize studs (unless you make stepped studs) will be too large and will interfere with the flange formed around the edge of the sump plate when tightened...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I agree with Ian on all points, but there is an option.
A chap at Stafford bike show was showing off a new product that he had devised which to all intents and purposes looked like solder.
It is only used with the heat of a propane lamp, not oxy, so anyone can achieve a result easily.

After a demo at the show, I tried this myself, and by cleaning out the hole, then inserting the correct steel bolt, the 'solder' is melted into the hole around the bolt. As it cools ( quite quickly ) the bolt can be unscrewed from the hole leaving a perfect thread which is stronger than the original.

It does mean removing the gearbox etc. but if you want a good job, that's actually quite easy, its the way to go,

I have the guys contact details if you email me I can reply with them iif you are interested.

Good luck,
Darren.

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Can you "weld" upside down with this product?

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi, no you cannot do it upside down as it runs like solder, so it would be box out I am afraid.

Back in the office I have the details here now.
The product is called Alutight, the guys name is Bjorn Ivholt and his contact details are as follows:
email alutighteurope at Hotmail dot com ( modify as is obvious )

Tel +46 70 6276572

He is a lovely chap and a pleasure to deal with. Not many of these type of cure all ( snake oil ) products that I trust, but this one actually does work. Worth watching his demo when he comes over for a show as there are many things that can be done with this which are most pertinent to what we do.

Hope that helps you
Regards
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Lots of videos on YouTube, just give in "alutight" in the YouTube search field...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1