Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TRIUMPH 3HW REBUILD2

Yep, i'm still around and slowly building miles on the 3HW, despite it not being fully completed - its a really nice bike to drive.

QUESTION - how should the magneto be fitted to the engine?

Currently its held on by a strap, fixed to the crankcase, that goes over the Mag/Dynamo. While trying to sort out a misfire i have noticed the whole lot moving, as i rev the engine.

All other engines i have, base mounted Mag's are fixed to a platform by screws.
Should the 3HW magdyno be similarly mounted ?

Re: TRIUMPH 3HW REBUILD2

The Magdyno is simply held against the platform with the trunion strap, much the same as BSA, Royal Enfield and others. If your mag is wobbling, I would guess that the strap is loose or at the worst, the taper for the pinion is bent. Ron

photo 3HW 024_zpsjaqny6lb.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron - thanks for this info.

I'll undo the Mag retaining bolt cover and check if the mag shafts bent ??????
Nasty feeling it is the Mag .....

If not it will be the crap (Indian ???) retaining straps - i have originals for my spare 'Bonneville' engine that's going nowhere this year, so i'll pull them off as well.

While pondering the above - have actually moved forward o the old girl - now the panniers are firmly fixed at all four corners - you can pick the bike up on the pannier frames

Also finally fitted a speedo (as opposed to my bike computer) and ........ a horn!!!
This self cert MOT has a lot to answer for......

One day i'll finish the paint work

Could it need shims between the base and the platform?

email (option): oldjunk@btinternet.com

The ignition drive on the 3HW is by gears, you are supposed to adjust the running clearance by sliding the mag/dyno fore and aft on the mag platform.

- any 'normal' manufacturer would use slots in platform and bolt the mag/dyno positively in place - but no, Triumph have a mickey-mouse strap arrangement.

I'll get onto the job today while i'm painting my new pannier mounts.

When you tighten the ignition, check if the pinion still moves "freely" within the limited room off its teeth. It should not be cpmpletely tight. That would give pressure on the ignition bearings, eventually ruining them.
If the teeth are indeed tight, you should consider some shims under the magneto.

M - good advice.

In principle, simply slackening the retaining strap and easing (ok - levering!) the Mag away from the cylinder should increase the teeth clearance.

In practice - as soon as you tighten the strap up, it moves to some other position, usually back to the original position !
Hence my original question - i did wonder if it was bottom bolted to a slotted mag platform (like a 16H/ES2) or if not slotted, needed the height adjusting with shims, like some other bikes.

The current arrangement seems half-arsed - ok for a chain drive but highly questionable for a gear drive.

Life is currently getting in the way of any forward progress, i'll let you know what happens.

Nope, ive not gone away !

Been running the 3HW but have had no battery charging - got fed up of this ans as i;m off the Normany in October, thought id better sort the problem...

Long story short, after checking dynamo on/of the bike, discovered it was 'generating' i wrong direction !!??

Quick swap of brush's and BINGO ....... a happy charging 3HW - pity i wired the ammeter incorrectly so it only shows the lighting discharge ????
Bugger!

Now only have to solve terrible gearing and major push-rod tube leaks

The bike keeps you busy Nigel....

yes it does -

That and the the two enduro bikes (racing this weekend in Northumbria), the ES2, the W650 and the F650 winter bike.
And these are the 'on the roader's' - i had over 50 bikes and never had anything ride-able, but sold/stored everything when i went off sailing.

Seems the numbers are creeping up again, with the recent purchase of a very rusty C11 (yes i know ....).

On top of which i'm having a 'thing' about 1950's jets and have a spent a small fortune on 1/32 'glue models' to decorate my workshop with - handy practice for the air-brush, and at 1/32 scale big enough for my eyesight!!

Got to have something for 'strictly come dancing' season ........

So much for Enduro - broke my thumb 1st lap on the B25 .......

Didn't stop a very enjoyable 4 days in Normandy - based @ Arromanche and riding the 3HW around the place - 45mph flat out, oil leak and all.

My god, the various sites have changed since i last visited with dad - some an improvement , but not sure about US Cemetery changes ?

Anyway - once back, and bike now covered in oil, from push-rod tube leaks, decided to do something about them;

Discovered that - THERE ARE NO SEALS FITTED - JUST LOTS OF SILICON ........
The cylinder bore is standard ?
The valves have been hitting the piston ??????? (need to check cam timing)

And it should have a short reach plug in it - i've never bothered to replace the original as it ran so well, and never thought to look up the correct plug - so much for all the BS talked about plugs !

Before you all give me flack - the engine that's in it, was the original, probably rebuilt in Indian and runs and sounds very well indeed - hence never having a look in side............ this will now change!

While i am swapping the gearbox back to the (rebuilt) original, a fully rebuilt engine with T80 cams and piston will also go in (i have to keep up with a group of rapid Ariels).

A question - should it have a head gasket?
I have a 0.010" thick copper one in the spares i have, but should one be fitted?

I think it would ultimately be quicker and easier to just rebuild the thing fully and correctly from the outset!....

'Incremental rebuilding' sounds like a long and laborious process... ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

No head gasket. Just lap the head to the barrel. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

No cylinder head gasket is fitted to the 3HW,fine valve grinding paste on the barrel face,put the head on and grind the two faces together until both show an even surface,clean the paste off after.

Ian - agreed, but my 'like'ing' of this bike was in doubt - until i drove her.

Will all the grief with its rebirth and looking as well as she is/was - i was seriously considering selling her and buying something else, particularly when she didn't go to Bonneville (may happen 2018 when we go back with the B50)

However, she drives really well and is something i have been needing, a solid, quick, light bike, capable of doing some minor 'off-road' stuff (as per various reliability trials, etc.).

So, she is getting a complete make-over, before Xmas as i have the Exeter trial in mind - original wide ratio gearbox with higher gearing, a sound engine with a tad more pep and some serious additional LED lighting (from the Dawn til Dusk KDX) - oh yes and a pillion for the wife ...................

I did suspect a lapped head 'gasket' but the terrible condition of the head/cylinder joint and the gasket in the spares box had me doubting.

Primary drive is standard, as is back sprocket, so may go up 1-2 teeth on gearbox.
Std Gearbox output sprocket seems to be 18T according to my spares manual - can anyone confirm?

Nieuwe pagina 1