Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 Misbehaving at high revs?

I'm no expert but believe in the adage that its probably the last thing you touched...

I would re-check all the connections on the mag - maybe smear a little dialectric grease in there or replace the plug lead? Connections oxidize over time and there are usually 2 states - working and dead. You may be somewhere in between?

Also, maybe the advance?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

The "outlaw mower cycle" spat the muffler off a couple of years ago and since then I have been running an aftermarket Shorty HD muffler which at one time most likely had some fiberglass in there.
I had to go up 2 sizes on the main jet to compensate for it.
So yes, no muffler will make a difference
As will being out of time having just replaced the dynamo.

Find a bit of a hill to ride up,
A long one if possible.
In third gear roll the throttle on slowly if you get to 3/4 and then you loose power without the engine missing then the main is too small.

Go back up the same hill again and again at 3/4 throttle, slowly retard the engine, if it picks up & runs better your timing is out .
A little trick we used to use was to open out the points a bit say to .015".
This advances the spark and if it makes the engine run better then you have to retime the engine.
Same for closing the points down, this retards the spark, however you can do that with the lever on the handle bars.

And if you are wondering why I changed the jets & not the muffler, two reasons.
1) to annoy the tractor riders who leave their Beesas in the garage
2) because I am getting Barry Bligh ( overlander) to make me a longer headder to fit into a fishtail I picked up a while back.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks people,
I have double checked everything.The main jet being too small due to missing baffles is worth pursuing (thanks Trevor) and Ian's sage advice on arcing was taken on board and enacted, all other points have been double/triple checked, However...
It seems to be getting better slowly (I know, weird right?) - I did put a small amount of old fuel in the tank from a J can that somebody gave me the other day and I'm just wondering if there may be a wee bit of H2O in the tank which is gradually clearing?
Anyway, why on earth are you all reading this in this weather, in the words of Mr mercury...
'Get on your bikes and ride'...
thanks again guys
K

email (option): Kimble.west@xeiad.com

Nieuwe pagina 1