Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M 20 rewire.

if nothing works, I would first look for a bad ground

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I have never fully understood the wiring through the horn, with negative earth if you don't put the two wires on in the correct order it won't work, but am I right in saying the earth is through the body? in which case it has 3 connections, and making it positive earth would mean that one of the two connections would become the earth???????????

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

If the horn has two connections for the wires, it doesn't matter which way round the wires are connected. The connections are not connected to the body.

Are you relying on the ground connection to the headlight via the steering-head bearings? That is something that could be intermittent with a turn of the handlebars.
A separate wire from the headlight back to the battery will allow you to quickly troubleshoot that.

That is also worth doing to bypass connections via all the bolted together points as well because of the potential for paint, corrosion etc to provide unwanted insulation (assuming you don't have that based on the diagrams showing frame connections).

Ray

on any older bike, it's always a good idea to run a ground wire through direct to the battery and assume the frame is no longer able to be used for this purpose.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I would say you can trust the chassis for electrical grounding,
Even on an old M20:

If the battery in connected to the body (To the "front" frame, not the rear/bottom frame)
And the connection is solid- Say by connecting to the saddle spring bottom end nut,
As the frame is brazed and riveted all the way to the steering head,
Then if you would take a ground from the front gas tank screws to the headlamp,
Then your ground is pretty solid.
The same goes for the rear light.
If the ground is taken from the frame, where it connects to the mudguard,
Then there is no need for running wires back and forth from the battery.
This is my view, anyway...

Cheers,
Noam.

I am earthing the battery onto the front seat mount all the paint has been cleaned off so it should be a good connection I would hope.

email (option): derrick.kay@sky.com

Cas
on any older bike, it's always a good idea to run a ground wire through direct to the battery and assume the frame is no longer able to be used for this purpose.

All the parts on my bike are powder-coated; I took no risk and had a black earth wire running from headlamp to rear light, and connected all critical parts to it; it's not much work, and prevents a lot of searching for those bad earth connections

Nieuwe pagina 1