Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A.M.C SIDE CAR

A.M.C. also made a one off SWD machine it was tested by MOTOR CYCLE during the war,but the jeep became available and this type of machine was no longer needed.  photo DSC_0504-.jpg It was a OHV v twin badged as a SUNBEAM which was part of AMC at the time.  photo DSC_0505-1_zps8254e0d9.jpg

Re: A.M.C SIDE CAR

Hello steve
the sidecar looks like the one used on the norton big 4.
gr marcel

Thanks Steve, not seen those picture before.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The sidecar does look similar to the one in this parts book,the Norton body has two grab rails though.  photo<a href= photo DSC_0513-3_zpsdb62b5f4.jpg DSC_0513-2_zpscbe27923.jpg"/> photo DSC_0513-1_zps23c8663a.jpg

John Tinley may see this post and tell you about the 1939 Matchless Model X outfit he has put together!

I have a 1950's magazine article about this one off AMC outfit by a guy who test rode it. When it was built it had a separate little reverse gearbox which had been removed by the 50's. The chair was the same as Norton's, built by Swallow I believe. Not long after the article, the whole outfit was broken up and the frame was used as reinforcing in Tich Allen's driveway and the engine went into a Brough. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Note it was badged as a Sunbeam..AMC had bought that company...

Legend has it they bought Sunbeam to find out the secrets of the Sunbeam stove enamelling process, considered widely to be the best in the industry at the time....

AMC sold the company on to BSA in, I think, 1943...

I'd like to get my hands on an MX4 engine...Matchless oddly never fitted it to one of their own motorcycles but sold it on to other users such as Brough Superior and Morgan...Very sought after these days..!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have a whole set of articles by Bob Currie re this machine, I'll dig them out and post them. They have the full story and its shameful end.
Evidently the gearbox reverse gear went dud and as it was a one off no spares were availiable. The forks were oversized Teledraulics, and went somewhere else.

Just another example of how cherished old bikes were back then. Even in 1971/2 when I built my WD G3L to army spec people thought I was nuts.

[I nearly did go nuts but that was some years later when I opened my bike shop

Yes Ken, that must be the same article I have, if I can remember where I put it Ron

The original article was pubiished in the June 24th MOTORCYCLING over three and a half pages plus six photos,990cc engine,it states several times that the army decided to use jeeps instead of outfits and that it was completely outclassed by the jeep.  photo DSC_0514_zps48c2785f.jpg

I found my articles, will scan in as soon as I can get near the machine, as wife is having carpets fitted and all the junk is piled up in my computor cubby hole.

Actually, rather than the Jeep thing, my version says that the contract for production of this outfit was awarded to the Standard car company, as AMC were fully occupied.
Standard were a bit put out at being "down graded" to motorcycle production but even more put out when they found they could not work to the tolerances demanded to produce a air cooled V twin!

Who knows that Royal Enfield also produced a SWD outfit using their 1100cc engine.
That was still and running about in 1975ish, reg no EXN 718 in the Birmingham area.

I'll scan that article as well.

Ian, you should be looking for a MX2, not a MX4 as the former is air cooled and the later water cooled. Also you will need a bike engine, head fins inline with the valves rather than across as on a Morgan. But don't be down hearted as most stuff is available from the Morgan or Brough clubs and Cameron Engineering can provide your dream (at a price).
Richard

ken

Who knows that Royal Enfield also produced a SWD outfit using their 1100cc engine.
That was still and running about in 1975ish, reg no EXN 718 in the Birmingham area.

I'll scan that article as well.

Hi Ken,

I'm interested in that article! Any chance of a copy?

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I'd be happy to receive both articles too Ken. I'm buggered if I can find mine on the Sunbeam

My Big 4 is one of the last built in 1942! Orders also stopped in favour of the Jeep.Ron

STEVE S
The sidecar does look similar to the one in this parts book,the Norton body has two grab rails though.  photo<a href= photo DSC_0513-3_zpsdb62b5f4.jpg DSC_0513-2_zpscbe27923.jpg"/> photo DSC_0513-1_zps23c8663a.jpg

That's interesting, you have a different edition of this book.

And there seems to be some confusion as to the CC on some of these books.

Rob

photo big1_zpsskomdbg9.jpg

photo big2_zpsjbsri832.jpg

Strange Rob? I see there were some late contracts for 16H combo's with passenger and box bodies. I also see that they don't quote SWD on the covers of those books for box bodies.

Ron

swdamc#1 photo swd amc1.jpeg

swdamc#2 photo swd amc2.jpeg

re shaft photo re shaft.jpeg

Thanks for these Ken! Much appreciated!

The Enfield still exists, I have recently been in contact with the owner. But it's interesting to read about the history of this outfit.

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I have never been able to find any information on the BSA SWD outfit..other than the fact it used an M21 engine as motive power...

It seems no photos exist and even a search of the patent museum drew a blank...

Has anyone ever seen any photos or read anything about it?...Ian

The magazine Classic Military Vehicles issue 204 has an article on the AMC Sunbeam combination with some lovely pictures I'd not seen before.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I've ordered issue 204. Ron

Here is the 1940 Matchless model X military outfit and John Tinley's replica, Ron
Model_X_02
IMG_1198

The Union Jack's upside down, a sign of distress!
Richard

I agree that the Union flag is upside down. But I can not believe that a ship in distress would expect anyone to notice an upside down flag. In a state of emergency, there would be far more need to indicate it.....Like flares, Mayday signals and high pitched screams of "DON'T PANIC" etc. Ron

Read your Captain Hornblower!

Never read it! Will it be in the 'FICTION' section of the library? :smiley: Ron

I suppose anyone would be in distress having to ride a Matchless...:laughing: .(great books the Hornblower series)....

I've recently finished the full set of 'Sharpe' novels....also an entertaining read....Ian.

I always preferred Alexander Kent. The pre 1801 British flag didn't have an up or down of course.

Rob

Going back to the Sunbeam, I'm intrigued by the reverse gear which appears to be after the gearbox?

Rob

Rob the write up I read (if I can ever find it again) about a road test of this outfit in the 50's before it was broken up. Said that the small additional reverse gearbox had been removed before the test. I seem to remember that it had given some trouble or broken or something. Ron

The photo of my Matchless 39/X was taken in Normandy after a heavy night on whiskey and Calvados. I remember being in quite a distressed state. JT

Ron, have you got your copy of the magazine yet?

In the close up of the engine side, does it look like the riders footrest has been snapped off?

Rob

Yes you are right Rob! I wonder how that could happen? It's more usual for foot rests to bend than snap.
Scan_20180713_3
Scan_20180713_2

In the picture with two people on board it seems to be there, maybe they got carried away whilst they were doing the test ride?

Rob

There appears to be an interesting mix of bits on this bike, apart from the "live" rear axle, presumably to accommodate sidecar wheel drive the frame seat stays are sufficiently bifurcated to accommodate the rear cylinder head poking through. Also it uses a Sturney Archer type gear box (Brough?) not a Burman as in the X although the mag and it's chain case are as in the X. These things plus the oil tank under the seat, an interesting position, were I assume to reduce the wheel base.
Richard.

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

No live axle on the Sunbeam Richard, it's Rigid, the same as the Norton big 4 and used the same Dolls head gearbox. No differential to the SWD, just a crude dog engagement for the propshaft. Which could end in tears if left engaged on hard ground with both rear wheels being driven together:flushed: Ron

Maybe I spoke too soon? What exactly does live axle mean? Sureley it's not swinging arm, plunger or sprung hub. Ron

If its like the Norton with the rear wheel bearings in the frame and the spindle turning with the wheel, it probably is a "live axle".

Rob

Yep I get that now Rob.:flushed: So that the propshaft fitting turns with the wheel. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1