Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accurate BSA ignition timing made easy ...

The new magneto drive gear assembly for use on BSA singles has now been prototyped, successfully tested and is in the pipeline for production once pricing of all the components is completed...

The assembly allows for 'infinite' adjustment of the timing without fully removing the gear itself and completely eliminates the problem of unwanted movement when the locking nut is tightened during setting of the timing...

The original oil seal arrangement is retained and no modifications are required prior to fitting the unit...

I should have full prices in the next few weeks and will post all the details when they become available...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Accurate BSA ignition timing made easy ...

Oh YES..PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!

No more wasted days shivering in the shed and throwing spanners at the wall.

Bugger what they cost reserve 2 for me PLEASE!!

Cheers
Pete

That could be useful, keep us posted.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Good to hear Ian. I presume any adjustments can't be made through the timing cover plug and will need removal of the timing cover?

I'll give you a list of other bike makes that you can knock up for me also Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think it will be possible to make timing alterations through the timing cover hole though I haven't tried it....

Previously I can't say I've been a fan of that method but I might change my mind on that with an easier method of tightening the gear....Ian

I cannot wait I need two Ian, So glad the brain hasn't gone to sleep, kind regards

email (option): warbikes@( gee male)dot com think about this address

Hi Ian,

Sign me up for 2 also please !

Thanks,
Noam.

Very interested! Do I still need Rizlas?

Yes, you'll still need Rizlas or similar, or an electronic gizmo...

The mod is all about setting the timing without anything moving when it is tightened..so you only do it once and the gear doesn't have to be removed, only loosened..

As yet I haven't managed to come up with something that sets it for you as well.. ...Ian

That sounds great Ian! I'm looking forward to more details.

Scott

I now have a provisional price...

The complete assembly, which includes a new magneto gear as well as the other components, is going to work out at about £80-£85....

I'd be interested to know peoples views on that...Ian

I'm in Ian, for one...

Sounds good to me, Ian. Put me down for one...

One for me too. Ron

Orders pouring in for a magneto drive gear assembly no one has seen yet. It is like announcing a new Ferrari model: order book full and only the colour is known.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Yes, the problem is I need to protect the idea, development, time and the substantial financial investment I will be making in producing these in quantity...

To go through it in detail would be like saying I'm selling cakes but here's the recipe and a list of the ingredients you need to make it yourself...It wouldn't be the best way to sell cakes..

As far as pre orders go I like to think most people on here know it will do what I say it will do when they get it...Ian

Yeah well, if it don't work, I know where he lives Ron

Yes, I don't want Ron to send the boys round again... ...Ian

I'll happily take one at that price, and maybe another one later.

ChrisJ

email (option): chris.joy@btinternet.com

John Kater
Orders pouring in for a magneto drive gear assembly no one has seen yet. It is like announcing a new Ferrari model: order book full and only the colour is known.

John

Yes, it just goes to show that this is something that all the British makers should have fitted as standard back in the day! They would still be in business now if this and other sensible stuff had been followed through.

That sounds great Ian. Sign me up for one.

Scott

I fully agree, Keith.
Makes me curious how the system works....

Sit back and relax chaps..There is an 8 week lead time on the production of the batch of gears, so it will be late July before everything is completed...

I've ordered 25 gears etc. initially and when completed 12 of those units are provisionally accounted for as of today...

These are the people who have responded on this post AFTER I posted the price and a few who have contacted me off forum already..

If you are not one of those people and want to go on the list for one of the remainder please also contact me off forum...Ian

Hi Ian,

I would like 1 for now,
Maybe another one later...

Thanks,
Noam.

OK..Ian

Sign me up. Email sent!

Adam

email (option): xeon25@hotmail.com

Please include me on you order. Price fine by me.

Ian Wright

Yes, the problem is I need to protect the idea, development, time and the substantial financial investment I will be making in producing these in quantity...

To go through it in detail would be like saying I'm selling cakes but here's the recipe and a list of the ingredients you need to make it yourself...It wouldn't be the best way to sell cakes..

quote]

Totally agree with your stance. Some years back I was designing and having made components for a more modern machine. I made the same decision regarding not posting full descriptions or photos. It didn't stop some guys from asking for details 'so I can make my own'. I even had two request a full set of drawings! Even better one of them then got extremely abusive when I declined. The other, even though he only wanted 'one for himself', after pretty much making a straight copy then went on to offer them up for sale. No surprises there eh?

As you say Ian, I'm sure the guys on here will recognise that anything you offer will be the real deal and trust that it will do what you say. So stick to your guns and request that no buyers post any photos of your idea. Most will be happy to comply.

It's always the dilemma of making old bike parts...Anyone can copy just about anything these days if they are determined...

It's entirely possible, or even likely that someone will copy this once they have one as a pattern...

There's nothing I can do about that really but if possible I would like to avoid being left with a lifetime supply and having my coffin stuffed with the rest...(there may not be enough room to fit them in with the unsold M20 rear stands I have left.. )..

In fact, I only need to make a few of this particular part to satisfy my own requirements and to supply a few close friends who want them...

However, it seems a shame not to offer a chance to others to solve an annoying problem as well...and I'll get a few bob for the time and effort I've put in..when I should have been working on my own bikes.... ...Ian

Sainthood now!!!
Email posted.
Ciao
Daniel

email (option): drossi54@hotmail.it

as before I will take two Ian, Andrew Hemsley

email (option): warbikes@geemale dot con, think about this Ian,lol

That leaves just one remaining (provisionally) from the first batch...Ian

Belay that..I've just had an e mail from John Edwards in the U.S who has taken the last one...

I'll post here again as soon as things are coming together...Ian

Glad to know I made it in under the wire!

Thanks,

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Ian,
Is there already something known about the 'rolling out' of this contraption
My M20 is anxiously waiting for this last bit to arrive

Hi Hans...The various parts are being manufactured at the moment..

Production of the gears will take approx. 8 weeks so everything will probably be timed around that..

I'll post periodically as things progress...Ian

the genuine "Wright" product will always be the best and no right-thinking M20 owner would dare buy a mere copy when the real thing is available and well-priced.

Maybe "bundle it" with a rear stand?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Hi Ian
Sounds like a great improvement i will have one sent to New Zealand when availible please. let me know when.
cheers
Phil

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Very interested Ian, please advise when these are ready for sale.
regards,
Nick

nick.umekATgmail.com

Hi Ian
Don't know if you got my E-Mail from 28 May but I am definitely interested in two of any new Batch you get made up.

I was away for a few days and missed the first lot after the price was announced.

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

G'day Ian.
Yep I will put my hand up for one.
Cheers.
Drew

email (option): bronte.nolan@bigpond.com

Hi Ian,
Any news about this...

Hi Hans..Two parts of the assembly are ready, including the new gears...The remainder are being made at the moment....

It's taking longer than expected as usual... ...Ian

I'm like the kid waiting for Santa Claus....

Hi Ian,
YES!!
Please sign me up for one as well (I know I'm a later arrival)
My timing has been a bugger to date!
Ian Foster

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Ian Foster
Hi Ian,
My timing has been a bugger to date!
Ian Foster

That's your problem Ian! You should be timing it in 'Degrees' not the 'Calendar'

Ron

Hi Ian
Any news on how these are progressing?

I seem to have acquired yet another bike which would benefit from one (or at least my tenuous grip on sanity would be helped by the acquisition thereof).

Cheers
Pete

Greetings Mr. Wright,

Just checking for any news on the progress of your modified magneto timing mechanism.

Hi Mr. Wright

Are you still selling this product and do you have stock?

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

I have to confess this hasn't progressed beyond a working prototype and the production of half the component parts including the drive gears...

I suppose as I have the best part of £1000 tied up in the project I should pull my finger out and get on with it...

Too many projects and not enough time is the problem I'm afraid.... ..Ian

Just to confirm that, if you do manage to extract the digit, I am still very interested in a couple.

Cheers
Pete

Ian Wright
I have to confess this hasn't progressed beyond a working prototype and the production of half the component parts including the drive gears...

I suppose as I have the best part of £1000 tied up in the project I should pull my finger out and get on with it...

Too many projects and not enough time is the problem I'm afraid.... ..Ian

Mr. Wright, A perfectly understandable situation...!

...patiently standing by for "if and when"

Cheers,

JDE

Did this ever get finished Ian?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

I would be interested in one if any available.
Thanks

It sounds like something that is on my 1929 AJS. The magneto gear can be adjusted without touching the taper on the end of the magneto. You loosen the nut, move the gear and tighten the nut. The magneto gear can't move when you tighten the nut as there is a pin locating it to the part on the magneto taper. The holes in the gear for the pin are not evenly spaced so you have lots of adjustment. It also allows you to check the timing without having to tighten the nut.

As this costs more than a regular gear, it's probably why later bikes don't have this feature.

Nieuwe pagina 1