The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any suggestions? Clutch/gearbox.

hi BTB,
I'm no expert but I learned through error that its easy to leave the little woodruff key out when re-attaching the clutch to the gearbox output shaft. With this missing, its possible everything will work when static but as soon as some actual stress is applied, the clutch assembly will spin around when it tries to drive the rear wheel.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Hi BTB,

When you pull the clutchlever, does the hart of the clutch come to a standstill when the engine is idling with the rearwheel on the ground?

Ideally it should, and then you should be able to select the 1st gear without noise, or even have to move the bike a little to get the dogs match up.

If it's not there is clutch-drag and the more drag the more the dogs rattle. Have you followed Ians instructions in the technical section?

Good luck!, Michiel

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes Cas, the woodruff key is there. I will go and check what you say Michiel a bout the movement. And yes I have seen Ian's excellent technical article. But I feel my problem is probably related to some difference from standard spec of the new parts. A combination of probably small differences are at the heart of my problems.

I found that the friction plates that I bought was to thick (as per link/picture below). Ended up removing one of each to get proper hight (adviced by people here). Still haven't reached start-up so don't know if it worked.
But maybe this could be your problem?

Picture:
%%bbCodeItem_1%%IMG_2235 by Bohuslän i mitt hjärta, on Flickr

Been checking through it again this afternoon. Being away from 'base' and lack of facilities doesn't make it easier :-) However, I think part of the the problem is in the new chain wheel, it 'sits' differently to the old one - further out from the centre. Also my old set up had one less steel and friction disc and I now have a full set in. I have a feeling that whichever previous owner reduced the number also reduced the length of the push rod to get suitable adjustment? I think a new piece of silver steel rod of a suitable length will cure it. But it will be a job now for when I am back home. Thanks again for the suggestions. Duncan.

Rod length/hight of clutch plates - tomeito/tomato

Just make sure that the rod you use is hardened at both ends or else you'll soon end up with the same problem again.
An make sure the clutch fits under the bowl with all them high plates.

and if the chainwheel is indeed 'sitting' further out, check if it is still in line with the enginesprocket. Cheers.

Nieuwe pagina 1