Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 Primary chain lubricant

I agree use oil and let it drip out , TOP TIP carry a piece of folded tin foil and fold up edges to make a tray and put under bike when parked on that nice new drive then put it in the recycle bin and ride off

email (option): Warbikesat gee male dit comm, think about this

I'm trying an o-ring chain running dry but lubricating it regularly (weekly). If the chain needs an oil bath for cooling, this might not be a good idea. Any thoughts?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Hi Cas,

The clutch bearing also needs lubrication from the oil and mist being thrown around the chain case.

My cuz always uses rear chain lub on the primary and his Ariel has done many, many flogged miles over the last 5 years without problem (damn near everything else has failed mind you - as i say HARD miles).

My own Norton ES2 (and the '27 Brough i had) should not even HAVE A CHAIN CASE (just a primary cover), as it is the '34 c/case fitted leaks like a sieve and rarely has any oil in it after a few dozen miles !
However i do persist as i believe so oil does get to the Clutch rollers for lub (?) - something i've never checked in 5-10 years of riding her!

There are some semi-fluid greases available - usually used for 4X4/truck steering box's, etc.
These are thixotropic so when 'churned' turn to liquid and when left alone turn to a grease - i have used them in gear-box's over the years, but must admit i now use oil and accept the leak!

As for cooling - not sure about this as a chain should not absorb much power/heat and as the M20/21 produces sod all .......
My racing triumph outfit (~70bhp at rear wheel) really did heat up a single primary chain - within 5 laps it looked like it had been thrown in a fire with split and welded roller's - IF the constant loss chain lub failed (or the scrutineer had made me remove it .....)

On my Matchless's I always put the chaincase band on with clear silicon sealer and it does not drip. Also on a Matchless you have a Cush drive on the end of the crankshaft which will wear rapidly if you do not put oil in the chaincase. I will admit, not on of Matchless better designs. John

Nieuwe pagina 1