Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Replacing bikes tyres, what good to get?

roy
i have some nice mitas sw07 3,75x19 on my bike,they look very close to a wd tyre

I use the same Roy, with no problems at all. The 3.75's may be too big to fit on some bikes though.

photo DSC_0548_zpspeitoozl.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

[' Trials tires tend to feel better at higher air pressure, but for 'normal' trial's pressures again feel very 'squirrelly' - like a running on flat tires, which is what they basically are!']..

I should think most tyres aren't much good if run well under inflated...

Trials Universals are designed for both on and off road use so should (and do) happily carry out both functions within reasonable limits..but of course they should be inflated to the correct pressure for the application...

I thought MX tyres were illegal for road use because of their full off road design?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for you input on this subject of tyres....most interesting and in-different.
Very much appreciated.

Will need to decide which now.

Message for BARRY FULLER................

Hi Barry,
Where did you purchase the Exhaust system shown in the photo please?
It looks great.

Many thanks again,
Paul

hi paul, the exhaust on my bike is an original with early example silencer, the silencer and pipe are pepper potted inside for the baffles.
most repro pipes today are all most straight through.
I read your post on the exhaust, I used Armours in the past and fitting wasant to bad but the last couple of systems ive had from them didant fit properly so I had to fettle them to fit, the silencers are not to bad though.
ive brought a couple of systems from feked and they wasant to bad.

thanks, barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

There are several MITAS and MICHELIN - MX tires that are road legal - in the case of the Mich's they change the compound but the tread is the same.

They all feel spooky at any angle of lean on tarmac and when wet they are lethal - my 'reduced' tread FIM Enduro tires (@ £85 each !) I had to fit for the ManxEnduro - eventually had me on my ear, on a T junction, in the wet ..........

As for trials tires - low pressure (6-10 psi) is the norm between sections often miles apart - the forthcoming Jersey Trial has something like a 50 mile lap on day one - much on tarmac - hence two tires bolts, to keep them on their rims.

I now run the Ensigns 3.50x19 on my Enfield..very confident tyre. And looks good.

http://www.vintagetyres.com/products/motorcycle-tyres/motorcycle-standard--wired-on-/ensign

Cheers, Jacco

Have a look at these on Ebay - 191313543408 - Mitas 350 X 19 H02 @ £35.00

I have run Mitas on my MX and Enduro bikes (actually prefer the front Mitas to Michelin S12's) and they seem to grip and wear well.

The HO2 seems to have a reasonably 'period' tread ?

Hi Guys,

Finally ordering my tyres this week but.......
Could anyone please confirm what size tyres I should fit front & rear to the 1942 G3L ?

Should they both be 3.25 x 19 ?
I have fitted at present a 3.50 x 19 on rear and 3.25 x 19 on the front but believe they both should the 3.25.

Regards,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

early war G3Ls had 3-50 rear and 3-25 front. i do and i would fit 3-25 front and rear.
a knobbly 3-50 on the rear is tight, something like a 3-50 ensign universal tyre will fit ok

thanks, barry

Several makes (including BSA) had a 3.50 rear early on but rubber shortages and a wish to standardise led to 3.25 all round later in the war.

Thanks Guys,

Seems the 3.25 all round would be best.
I plan to get the Ensigns and give them a try.
I like the idea of wartime tread.
I was speaking to a friend in Normandy who has these fitted to his m20 and he liked them.

Thanks very much to you.

Thank you all who has replied to the topic.
You've all been a great help both in information and recommendations.

Have a great riding summer.

Cheers,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

the ensigns from vintage tyres look good

photo MATCHLESS350CC008.jpg

barry

Nieuwe pagina 1