Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
magneto nut--is there more than one size?

Like the rest of the machine, the magneto drive nut is totally chewed up. I tried to buy one to replace it on ebay, but it's too big. I am not with the bike right now, so I will take pics asap if necessary, but can anyone tell me if there are two different sizes, or if I have some problem with mine. It looks to me like there may be two part numbers 173974 or 24-0195. The second one is the one I bought. Do I actually need the other?
Thanks,
nt

email (option): nicktog at gmail

Re: magneto nut--is there more than one size?

Usually the pinion nut thread is 3/8" BSF. But I have seen damaged threads turned down to 5/16". Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, that makes sense. I'll check that out.

email (option): nicktog at gmail

There are differences in the overall length of the nut as well, though the M20 only uses one of them...I'll post the relevant dimensions later today (wed.)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here are the dimensions for the magneto drive gear retaining nut...

It is a shouldered nut with a plain section below the hexagon...

The hexagon size is .600" across the flats (5/16" Whitworth)...

Overall length...640"

Length of plain 'shoulder'...400"

Drilled and tapped 3/8"BSF through...

Length dimensions plus or minus .010"...

Hexagon tolerance plus .000, minus .010"...Ian

OOPS! ..I forgot to note that the outside diameter of the shouldered section is .540"...Ian

I'm quite interested in Lucas MO1 data plates. Does that make me a magneto nut ?

Thanks again Ian!
Rik--What size are you???? I might need you.
Thanks!
nt

email (option): nick tog @ gee mail

Rik
I'm quite interested in Lucas MO1 data plates. Does that make me a magneto nut ?

I have quite a few of these data plates, I can send you photos of them if you want. But not right now as I am relaxing here on sunny Crete at the moment.

I have only seen one single cylinder BMW so far, not one BSA.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nick, I'm definitely an English size (despite persistent attempts to turn me metric).

Henk, I was thinking about starting a thread asking for copies of plates. There are a lot of identification numbers appear on plates (some of which are included in LV7 lists)but which do not appear in the post-war Lucas parts listings.

In order to follow this through properly, I probably need as many copies of LV7 lists as possible and of course they are only attached to quite a small proportion of Spare Parts Lists.

When are you coming home anyway ? It's going to be 25° here on Sunday

I know nothing about magnetos, or their availability. It seems that the threads on mine were damaged and were turned down to 5/16. And it looks like that was either badly done, or those threads are worn now too... I can try to make a new nut, but if that doesn't work, what next? Is there a way to build the threads back up? Can I find a replacement armature (I think that is the right term...?), and if so, is it just as easy as swapping it out??
Thanks,
nt

email (option): nicktog@gmail.com

Do you know the actual working condition of your mag? If it's an old un-restored mag, the chances are it will need a rewind and overhaul anyway. In which case it would pay to find another armature and get the whole thing restored by a professional. I guess most magneto guys will have spare parts in stock also.

On the other hand I feel more than confident that my own engineer could restore the original thread.

The magneto is the heart of a bike and if it's not in tip top condition, you could spend a lot of time trying to kick start your engine. Ron

The mag has to be stripped down to do it, but you can save an armature that has a thread that is beyond use...

Once the armature is out, cut off the threaded portion. Next mount the armature in a lathe, face the cut end and drill and tap to 3/8" BSF...

Finally fit a stud or cut down bolt of the correct length. Use some 'retaining fit' Loctite on the stud/bolt when fitting......Ian

Ian Wright
The mag has to be stripped down to do it, but you can save an armature that has a thread that is beyond use...

Once the armature is out, cut off the threaded portion. Next mount the armature in a lathe, face the cut end and drill and tap to 3/8" BSF...

Finally fit a stud or cut down bolt of the correct length. Use some 'retaining fit' Loctite on the stud/bolt when fitting......Ian

That's one way! But the risk is that the stud might unscrew itself despite the loctite.
I would expect that my guy (Hayward) would tig weld over the old stud and re-machine it back to the correct thread in his lathe. He always tells me there's nothing he can't do Ron

I've supplied a few mags that have had the thread repair done and with the application of retaining fit Loctite I can confirm the studs don't move in service...

However, there's always more than one way to do a job....

Without knowing the material spec. of the armature I would hesitate to weld it personally. There might also be problems with introducing that much heat to the windings via the shaft...

Never say never though...It may work fine...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1