Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Finished 16H

That looks great Stuart I use 3.75 tyres front and back on my 16H with no problems and it handle great round country lanes

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The whole tire thing drives me nuts - i have a Kaw W650 with a fat front tire - feels awful, dropping into corners, etc - i need to get it off and fit something narrower.

I fitted 3.75" & 4" tires on the Norton - hoping to take some of the 'sting' out of m/hole covers and railway crossings - i had to run so much pressure in them to feel OK on corners that it had a WORST effect.
Hence the change to smaller section tires.

metric size tire's are a nightmare as they are usually lower profile than the old imperial ones - to get the height, they often have to be oversize.
On the Enduro/MX B25 we run narrow rear rims, so as to pinch in a modern tire to get them in the s/arm and to increase the O/D.

For years when we raced TR/TZ Yam's - people would come up to us (me and Cuz Andy)and tell me that my front tire was too narrow (it was a rear off a 125) and Andy's rear tire was too wide (same as my TZ750).......
Strange as for 5 years we dominated the 350/500 FE class .... with the wrong tires ????

Basically - don't be afraid to fit a narrow(er) tire for road use - particularly as non of us are road-racers on these old things ..................

Sorry, did i say how nice it looked

I run 350x19 Dunlop K70s at both ends of my M20 and find them to be a good all round tyre for varied road and weather conditions....

I did run some 400s but the M20 handled like a barge with those fitted...very sluggish...

Personally I think tyre selection is a fairly subjective thing...You will get dozens of opinions on what is 'best'...

The truth is that the best is what grips well in most conditions and has the handling characteristics that make you feel confident and comfortable...

Some experimentation with different tyres and putting in some miles is the only real way to provide the answer that suits you...

One word of caution, when using modern tyres ignore the original quoted tyre pressures, they will be far to soft and were to suit tyres of a completely different structure and specification...

I run about 28-30psi in the front and 35 in the rear, which I increase to 38-40 when well loaded up with camping gear etc....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I had the bike out yesterday for a decent run (70km) and was able to make some adjustments to the forks and tyre pressures, i think i may have had the damper too tight before!
Very happy with the performance, i sat comfortably on 45 mph until i blew the head gasket on the the way home, so its back on the bench for a new one and a checkover for loose bolts etc.!
Cheers Stu
Ps. the gasket was a composite one! Should i replace with a copper one?

email (option): stuartcameron66@hotmail.com

Stu, I run with no steering damper on and hardly any on the side damper unless the road is very bumpy.

The composite head gaskets need to be re-tightened through a couple of heat cycles before they can be trusted. After that, they seem OK. Had you re-tightened the head nuts before your run ?

Rik
Thanks for the damper tips! The other nuts are tight enough just till the knurled washers can rotate?
I didn't check the head nuts at the start of the ride but had to tighten them when i stopped for lunch (engine was starting to backfire a bit), i got about 15km's on the return leg when i heard a pop and lost all power. After pulling over i noticed an inch of gasket missing, so i guess the damage was done at the start of the ride!
Cheers Stu

email (option): stuartcameron66@hotmail.com

How are the girder spindles? I know that with one of my machines, it weaved like a drunken sailor because the spindles/bushes were worn.....

Stu My Big 4 did the same thing before I even got it out of the workshop! Blew an inch out of the head gasket. I replaced it with solid copper. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

very good work
also very nice bike
sheers-Hussein

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

RE - blowing head-gasket

Not certain if the WD 16H are the same, but civilian 16H use blind-nuts and studs to attach the head - the studs have a habit of bottoming inside the nut, before they fully clamp the head-gasket.

The stud then seize into the nut, so when you remove the nut, the stud comes out with it - making a fancy head 'bolt'.

Try fitting the head without a gasket and check the nuts and 'bolts' don't bottom before the head clamps to the cylinder.

Also, as said - run for an hour or so, then re-torque the head - perhaps a couple of times - as the composite gasket settles.

NigP
RE - blowing head-gasket

Not certain if the WD 16H are the same, but civilian 16H use blind-nuts and studs to attach the head - the studs have a habit of bottoming inside the nut, before they fully clamp the head-gasket.

The stud then seize into the nut, so when you remove the nut, the stud comes out with it - making a fancy head 'bolt'.

Try fitting the head without a gasket and check the nuts and 'bolts' don't bottom before the head clamps to the cylinder.

Also, as said - run for an hour or so, then re-torque the head - perhaps a couple of times - as the composite gasket settles.

Good advice but most of the cylinder head nuts I have seen have been "open". I know blind ones where used but I think it was only late war. No doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong!

Solid head gaskets are the way to go for predictability and reliability and remove the need to tighten through multiple heat cycles...One re torqueing after an initial run is usually sufficient...

Ensure solid copper gaskets are annealed before fitting and my advice would be to avoid repro composite gaskets altogether..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for all your comments!
The fork spindles and bushes are in good order .
The nuts are all open and a couple were only finger tight when I re tightened them !
I will try to source a copper gasket from the NOC.
Cheers Stu

Don,t forget, Stuart when you tighten the head bolts there is a specific order to the tightening. It must be done in the sequence as shown in the manual.

Stuart

I will try to source a copper gasket from the NOC.
Cheers Stu

Stuart. Lani in the US made me a small batch of B4 copper head gaskets and probably kept a pattern. Worth a shout.

http://coppergaskets.us/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Make a sold gasket - copper sheet of various sizes are available in nice convenient sizes off ebay.

Its not as hard as you may think - a hand drill and file is all the tools you need.

Sandwhich the copper between head and some wood and drill through for the head bolts.
When you are happy these holes actually line up with the studs - mark out the combustion chamber shape - use the old gasket + a felt tip.

Wood pecker a series of holes well away from the final shape - they don't even have to join up as side-cutters/chisel/wood chisel/etc can be use to chop away any joining bits.

Then sandwhich the copper between two pieces of wood - leaving exposed the bit you want to file (about 1-2 inch at a time) - and file combustion chamber to shape.

When happy - check it fits the cylinder etc and cut the outside of the gasket to a nice shape - i usually make it wider than standard - heavy scissors will often do this, no need for metal shears.

Check again - anneal on gas-ring/blow-torch/camping gaz stove - and its finished.

Very satisfying

Ian Wright
Quite a transformation and it's now looking good...

I like the Aussie marking..A friend of mine has that on his Australian built wartime staff car...Ian

AFAIK it should have the numeral 1 or 2 over the space and partially covering both the kangeroo and the boomerang.
Depending upon weather the bike was used in the 1st AIF or 2nd AIF.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1