Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat

Hi, I have a 1942 wm20 with its original seat base is there any way telling if it a terry or lycett?
I want to try and find an original cover but don't want to get it wrong after seeing some of the prices!
I can't seem to find any info on what was fitted in 42 or whether it was all mix and match
Thanks guys for any info
Steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Re: Seat

Things got swapped around a lot during REME rebuilds so your bike may not have its original saddle...

A picture would help with identification....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hope this works

That's a late war, standardised 'universal' saddle that was supplied as a spare part with a fitting kit for use with all the WD machines and fitted on very late production models

It could have been made by any of a group of manufacturers and quite likely had no name on the back.

Early-war Lycetts had 'Aerolastic' springing but changed to steel springs as per Terry.

These could have been made by Terry, Lycett, Brooks, Wright or Mansfield to my knowledge.

Reasonable repro plates are available from UK jumbles and with a couple of bifurcated rivets, no-one will know ! Anything made from period 'Rexine' looks better than vinyl

Hi Rik, thanks for the answer, are we saying any of the seat manufactures you name should fit my base?
Steve

Steve, you need to measure width at rear and length from nose to rear rail.

Any standard ex-WD NOS cover (if you can still find one) will fit...Apart from lightweights and the big pre-war V-twins.

I currently have a Brooks cover on my Terry saddle in order to preserve the original. I suspect that the Brooks is a post-war WD spare. Terry and Lycett are unlikely to have produced saddles once the original Equipment market disappeared in the 1950s but the army carried on using M20s into the 1970s.

hi steve just finishing my wdm20 do you know the colour of your bike as it looks great thanks PETE

Thanks Rik, your info is very interesting and something I didn't know about
Pete, I am sorry but that is the colour I purchased it in, it is a copy of the colour when released from the army, I was going to change it to olive drab but it's grown on me and now I love it!
Steve

I have a related question and thought I would post it here rather than start a new thread. My seat seems to be rather wide. 16 inches across and 13 inches long. It makes starting difficult unless you have cowboy legs. Is this seat the right dimension for a WM20?

photo IMG_1831_zpsvualc3y9.jpg

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1