Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to start the bike up?

Hi all got the carb sorted now so ready to start the bike now for someone who knows nothing about starting British bikes been at it for an hour still not fired up!! try a few little things but really haven't got a clue How's the valve lifter work Advance and retard The plug seems to be dry any pointers in the right direction would be great thank you Keith.

Re: How to start the bike up?

Are there no BSA club members -or others- in your neighbourhood ?

Hello Keith,

Every bike takes some getting used to so I'm sure you'll get it down to being a first kicker.

First, make sure you have spark. Remove the plug, rest it against the cylinder, and kick through. You should see a spark. No spark means the plug may be bad or the points are not set correctly.

Next, make sure you've got fuel. A dry plug may mean no fuel is getting through. Flood the carburetor and you can be sure fuel will be getting to the cylinder. Then close the choke. Some people spray Easistart or other spray can starting fluids in first, when a bike is less than cooperative. Many old bikes will only start from cold when the fuel is actually overflowing from the carb float bowl.

Advance/retard: set at about 7/8 full advance for starting.

Decompressor: Lift it, then kick the engine starter, and as your foot descends let go of the decompressor. That can take a bit of getting used to.

I hope this helps,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

If you are having problems with the kick starter, get someone to give you a push......or find a hill and start it in second gear. Once warmed up a bit, they are usually easier to start so you can better get the hang of kick starting.

And don't kickstart heavy when the bike is on the rearstand. These stands are not made for it and can eventually break out of the frame (at least if we are talking about M20's)

Saying that, the outer gearbox shell is also not made up for heavy starting..

Take care, cheers, Michiel

The correct procedure for kick starting is not to spin the engine and then let go the valve lifter

Depress the kick starter gently until you feel compression. (you will feel the kick starter sort of stop! On a good engine you can almost stand on the pedal). Now trigger the valve lifter lever and gently press the pedal down a little way so the piston goes past compression. Now return the pedal to the top, release the valve lifter and give it a good healthy swing. I always find it best to stand along side the bike with it on the rear stand. Not by standing on the foot pegs which indeed can put too much strain on the stand. It's second nature for me to start a bike this way and you soon master it.

As a spotty know it all youth once said to me "Yeh! it aint rocket surgery" Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes you can start most things Ron, but I remember this BSA V twin getting the better of you, it didn't want to spin over fast enough.... you had had a few whiskys by then

Luckily the lady owner had to show us how to do it, and she had a hell of a kick on her

photo IMG_5623_zpsmq3royfv.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Bloody Hell yes Horror. There was a knack to that thing, and not helped by no rear stand. Hot and bothered that day. Sometimes you just need those child bearing hips

But look at this lady. 96 and still riding the Chief she bought in 1941 Ron

photo scan-160318-0001_zpsbbpkhxkc.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Aha, think we found the man who destroyed all those stands!

No, it aint rocketscience, but lots of M20 stands are way too far over vertical and lots of owners don't realise the enormous increase of forces on the pivots by starting the bike on such a stand...

Together with a kickstart lever with a very large offset and relatively weak gearbox outershell it is best to realise that and not overstrain the starting procedure.

Even the great M20 has a few drawbacks and lots can be learned from noticing these.

Cheers, Michiel

So we are agreed, Keith.......go and get yourself a Matchless!

Nieuwe pagina 1