Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help a gearbox virgin?

hi folks,
I've never had to rebuild a transmission before and I purchased one that had been dismantled. Now I'm trying to "mantle" it. Not having seen one complete, I'm really in the dark. Besides my absolute lack of knowledge, I have 2 main problems so far:
1. When I try to assemble the inner components, the inner cover does not mate with the main shell - about 1/8 inch gap without the gasket.
2. I can not decipher the drawing on the service sheet so don't know how to arrange things for top gear. I think I have it right (with the selector removed) but an not sure.

Can any kind people help me out? images below...

photo IMG_1803_zpsfilchiob.jpg

photo IMG_1804_zps60w9qhbz.jpg

photo IMG_1805_zpsdxd8rfcz.jpg

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Re: help a gearbox virgin?

Assembly class 101.
Remove all shafts and try each one by itself

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Also have a look at the Technical Section of the website; there is a lot of information available..

Wear protection!

Hi Cas. Your pics show the selector shaft in fourth gear so no problem there.

From the pics it looks like you're trying to fit the assembly with the sleeve or top gear (the one that holds the chain sprocket) mounted to the main shaft.
This sleeve gear can be a tight fit in the bearing and needs to be fitted to the main bearing first then the three shafts fitted to the shell as one. Some tweeking of the sleeve gear when assembling might be needed when fitting the shafts to align the selector dogs.

Hope this helps.

I can probably sort you a gearbox case and inner cover that aren't corroded in amongst my spares (for a very good price) plus postage..

E mail me off forum if your interested...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Matty Leahy
Wear protection!

Hi Cas. Your pics show the selector shaft in fourth gear so no problem there.

Thanks Matt - one problem solved. And yes, the sleeve gear is easier installed first. Now I'll try to figure out which shaft is too long (and why).

Cas

Hello Cas,

I think I might be the person who sold this gearbox to you on Ebay last year. If so, then I can assure you it does all assemble correctly! When I got it, it worked fine, and when I reassembled it (as I recall) it all meshed quite nicely. I sold it because I had purchased a complete bike which meant I then had a total of 3 gearboxes on hand!

I think you may want to check the detent is engaging correctly with the 4th gear notch on the selector shaft. That can be a bit of a fiddly thing to do. You may also want to make sure you follow the other comments here, as I would have suggested the exact same things. I don't actually recall if I replaced the large output bearing on this box. I think I did - but in any case it should be checked to make sure it is properly seated.

If you're not happy with this gearbox then by all means send it back for a refund.

Best wishes, Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

hi Allan,
Yes - I think you were (still looking for a pair of GS12CS jugs by the way). Its not the gearbox at fault, its me and my inexperience...

Nieuwe pagina 1