Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3 WO for sale.....

..........at Kettering Classics......picture on their website. Would be nice to have a WO but what is going on with the front mudguard? How could someone finish a bike like this that at face value has had a complete resto? Dont tell me "they are all like that"!

Re: G3 WO for sale.....

The mudguard look awful...
Although it's got a nice coat of paint and has obviously had some work done many of the finishes are incorrect..It doesn't look like it's been run either, so how good is it?.

Also post war pannier bag carriers and a couple of large packs?...I'd expect better than that for £7000...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Looks like the front stays were too long so they just bent the mudguard to fit!

I've learnt that if there are problems with what you can see there'll more than likely be problems with what you can't see...

'Top money' rebuilds should display attention to detail in all areas...

It's an OK bike at the right price but in my view that price isn't £7000...Ian

This WO G3 has been up for sale 12 months or more and has been reduced from £7,900. It's owned by the Matchless club President and if I recall has only had a road test since complete rebuild. Its top top price and not quite right in some parts, but that's probably why its still for sale!

I'd have thought the president of the Matchless Owners Club would have made a more accurate job of it...

I don't really think any of the 'ordinary' WD bikes will readily fetch £7000 yet...or even £6000... About £5000 seems to be the current top price...

What has surprised me has been the rise in prices of the previously undesirable BSA GB40 and the Triumph TRW...The latter particularly has reached the values expected for wartime bikes after years in the doldrums around £2000 cheaper...

At least those two are now frequently wanted for what they are, not for what they could be made into...

I think prices for classic bikes generally have 'softened' in the last year or two, either not rising or rising more slowly...The exception to that being the 'exotica' which is bought entirely as investments by people who always have the money...

I suppose after a period of readjustment (or catch up) prices may start to rise more sharply again...It seems there is still a demand for old bikes and rebuild costs continue to rise so I imagine that will drive the market on again at some point..Ian

Haha, that is an Enfield CO front mudguard, but then probably Indian made!!

Will have a look later what else is wrong.

http://www.kettering-classics.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=23628

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net

Yes I thought that looks like a badly fitted CO mudguard. He should resign from his post if that is anything to go by!!

This is my genuine G3 mudguard. Ron

photo G3 061_zps9lkl1e8v.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I 'Googled' "Matchless O.C. President" and came up with an old 'Real Classic' article....Hmmm...If they're all done by committee then it might explain something.

http://www.jampot.com/eastlondon/part%20one%20dtr26.pdf

Wow! That's an ugly fender.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

The mag chain case has no embossed Matchless logo and grease point at top. This correct for a G3? I am with Ian on this one.......if the mudguard is so plainly wrong, what other horrors lurk? I had thought about having a look over this machine and haggling, but you could have no level of trust in something like this, unless it was priced WAY lower. Most odd offering from someone you would think would have a clue?

I've filled several club committee positions. I've never once had to take a theoretical or practical test to show that I knew anything about motorcycles.

I've always maintained my machines to the best of my ability but have no hesitation in saying that some of the best and most hard-working club officers rode bikes that were 'hanging'.

It amuses me when I see a bike for sale that mentions 'xyz Owners Club member' as if paying £20 per year subscription makes one an honest diligent expert mechanic.

AMOC President is famous for his 'rat' bikes, if nothing else.

Has a prediliction for rusty wrecks odf which he has many.

Just one of many reasons I am not a member.

My personal view is, in an image concious world it's not a good way of showing off a club.

I'd have thought better from him in this case, and £7k is OTT for that bike.

Nieuwe pagina 1