Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Head Gaskets

There are some solid copper M20 head gaskets on ebay.

One vendor offers two different thicknesses 1.00 and 1.6mm thick.

Two questions (1) any one tried one of these and (2) why the different thicknesses (ally head v iron head?).

Regards

Pat

ps I have just burned a gap through a composite gasket. It never seemed to seal correctly and the head bolts seemed to need tightening back down more than just a normal re-tighten.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Head Gaskets

I, and many others, run solid copper head gaskets...The modern composite gaskets can be unreliable and unpredictable...

Solid copper is the way to go. A 1mm thick gasket will give the correct squish clearance under the head so I have no idea why they make a 1.6mm thick version as well...

TT John from this forum had M20 gaskets made...I don't know if he still has them but it's worth a posting to find out...

Solid gaskets should be annealed before fitting...They can be supplied in an annealed state but you need to check whether that is the case...

If not heat (carefully) to cherry red and then quench immediately in clean, cold water...

Gasket sealant is not required if the barrel and head faces are in reasonable condition....

Torque the head evenly to 28-30 ft/lbs and check the bolt tightness after the engine has been run up to working temperature and then been left to go completely cold...It is only necessary to do this once with solid gaskets generally...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I also use solid copper gaskets from TT John. I did run with modern composite gaskets and found that you could re-torque the head bolts up to six times before the bolts stopped moving. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Like Ian & Ron, I have used solid copper gaskets for sometime

I put mine on with some grease & fitted without annealing

I had reason to take the head off to lap valves in & did the same again - re-using the gasket

Still no bother 2 or more years later

If interested - I still have some spare gaskets fo sale

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

With extended use the bridge between the valve chest & the cylinder burns away.
Usually you clean up the joining face and pop a thicker base gasket to make up the height. or fit a thicker head gasket.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Hi John

I have emailed you off line.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi Pat

Have responded to you on that

Best Regards

John

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John O'Brien
Like Ian & Ron, I have used solid copper gaskets for sometime

I put mine on with some grease & fitted without annealing

I had reason to take the head off to lap valves in & did the same again - re-using the gasket

Still no bother 2 or more years later

If interested - I still have some spare gaskets fo sale

Best regards

Job

Hi John,
Do you still have any copper head gaskets left, if so could I buy one off you please?
Cheers
Alwyn

email (option): Alwyndart@gmail.com

I recently purchased one from a seller on Ebay and it was a good fit. I annealed it before fitting and it seems nice and tight after one re-torque.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-M20-FLATHEAD-SINGLE-500-COPPER-HEAD-GASKET-1942-/162058613896?vxp=mtr

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I still have solid copper gaskets for sale, they are lazer cut from C106 soft copper sheet 0.9mm thick and so do not need annealing before fitting. £15 plus p+p. Top quality at a low price.

Regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

I've sent you a pm
Thanks

All sorted now, thanks to all who replied,
Alwyn

Nieuwe pagina 1