Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: dvla latest ruling on no v5

I registered a bike that was a "basket case" with matching engine and frame, and I wanted an age related plate. I was given a list of all the main motorcycle parts and I had to state what year every part on the list was that was fitted to my bike. I realised what they were doing here, so I wrote every part the same year. If I had written different years for each part I wouldn't have got an age related plate. This was a very long time ago but it seems there attitude is still the same. Also, people tell DVLA too much info like I've built it from bits etc.

I was told of a person who restored a Norton Commando and as the frame number plate was tatty he bought a new one, re-stamped it and riveted it on his newly painted frame. After the bike was complete and looking mint, he got a dating letter from the NOC and all was going well until in conversation with the inspector he said what he's done. They then wouldn't accept the frame number on the new plate. Rule number 1, keep your mouth shut..!! Everything is original and as you found it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

You are quite right, tell them as little as possible. When I built up my BSA Shooting Star in 2007 I told them that it was built from bits. No problem there regarding the issue of a age related plate or the tax exemption, but I have to have an MOT each year. Although the frame is dated 1959 it says on the bottom of the V5c "made from a collection of parts some of which may not be new" this doesn't bother me but proves that you need only tell them what they want to know.

H & IC - yes the keep shtum message came through when i was reading (the wrong) DVLA info.
as soon as the 'new' word was mentioned, even for levers, things became complicated.

Anyway, off to the MOT.

UPDATE ..

BINGO!
One V5 arrived while i was away, no probs ..........

Well a problem for someone else as it now appears i also have a V5 for a 2011 Chevy Camaro, while he has all my paperwork i sent to DVLA - enough for easy identity theft ?????

To confirm what i did;

MOT on bike
Sent copy of above + GREEN LOG BOOK as confirmation of ID/existance
All the ID paper (photo of passport etc.) as requested + £55 cheque.

DID NOT SEND - anything from a club or insurance - so i need to either SORN or road tax the vehicle as soon as it shows on the DVLA computor.

I did not get the number on the GREEN LOG BOOK (i basically applied for a new number), they have sent a transferable (?) age related number and the V% shows the vehicle as being made in 1971 - so no road tax.

So apart from the Camero cock-up, i'm sweet !
One more B25 on/off the road !

Hi All,
I am looking at a 1940 Ontario motorcycle plate I was told by the DMV that if the number is not in use by anyone els that it would be fine to use on the Ariel .
That was easy as long as the DMV GET THERE $$$ everyone is happy

Cheers Steven in Canada

email (option): Goodbell@ripnet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1