Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dvla latest ruling on no v5

Thank you for your email received on 4/1/16.

I am sorry, but we have no record here for the registration number mentioned in your email.

Therefore you would be unable to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), at this time.

I should explain to you that the DVLA computer register was closed in 1983. After this, vehicles presented for registration were only allowed to display their original numbers if they satisfied certain criteria. However, from 5 November 1990 the rules were changed to allow vehicles to display their original numbers on a non-transferable basis, as long as applicants are able to supply documentary evidence to prove entitlement to the number.

You may therefore be able to keep this number on your vehicle, but it will be non-transferable. In other words, you will not be able to transfer it to another vehicle at a later date.

In order to apply to register the vehicle, please submit the following to a registered owners club (addresses can be found in our booklet V765/1 List of Vehicle Owners Clubs):

• V765 Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number
• V55/5 Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration
• Photograph of the vehicle
• Any evidence pre 1983 i.e. VE60 old style log book, tax disc etc.

The Owners/Enthusiast Club will decide whether the vehicle is eligible to reclaim the original registration number. The Club will advise DVLA of their decision by sending the completed V765 and supporting documents to us.

If the application is successful, you will receive the V5C Registration Certificate in either the non fee paying Historic Taxation class if the vehicle was manufactured pre 01/01/1974 or in fee paying Private Light Goods Taxation class if the vehicle was manufactured after 01/01/1974 within 4 weeks.

When you are ready to tax your vehicle, you may apply in person at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.You will need to submit the following documents:

• V5C Registration Certificate
• Valid MOT Certificate
• Appropriate fee for vehicle tax (if applicable)

You will receive the V5C Registration Certificate within 4 weeks.

If a club refuses your application, you can still register your vehicle under an alternative age related number by post to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BE. Vehicles registered under a newly allocated number will be subject to a first registration fee of £55. The number allocated will be non-transferable.

The V149 Rates of Vehicle Tax can be found at www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

All forms mentioned can be ordered from www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/reply_form_vehicles.html

email (option): andyblackie1@btinternet.com

Re: dvla latest ruling on no v5

DREW - currently struggling to register 3HW and a 1971 B25 - i have a green log book for the B25 and tried to reclaim the original number. This is what i got back from DVLA - i had to retype (exactly as per letter) as i don't know how to attach a document on this site;

DVLA
21/10/2015

Dear Mr Pearson
Vehicle Registration Number; ###23K

Thank you for your enquiry about the above registration number.

We have no record here for this number. Please check that you have quoted it correctly, if not please inform me of the correct number.

If correct and you are able to supply documentary evidence to prove entitlement to the vehicle registration number, you may be able to keep the registration number on your vehicle, but it will be non-transferrable.
You will not be able to transfer it to another vehicle at a later date.

To keep the vehicle registration number on a non-transferable basis, you will need to show that your vehicle is entitled to it by applying to one of the various owners clubs.
I enclose a list of clubs and an application form that explains the procedure.

If a club accepts your application to keep the vehicle registration number, the DVLA will set up a record for that vehicle and send you a vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) which will say that the number cannot be transferred.

If a club refuses your application, you may still be able to register your vehicle under an alternative age related vehicle registration number, you will need to fill in the enclosed ‘Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle (V55/5) and send it with all the documents We ask for to the DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BE.
These applications will be subject to the first registration fee.

Age-related vehicle registration numbers issued to vehicles manufactured prior to 1963 are on a non-transferable basisi and you will need to provide dating evidence.

Further information about the registration and taxing of vehicles is available from www.gov.uk/browse/driving.

Enc; V765, V765/1, V55/5

Yours Sincerely

K Davies

From this it looks like it's the V55/5 age related route for me. However there is some confusion in my mind as the first DVLA letter says, "If the club refuses your application you can still register..." And the second ".. you MAY still be able to register.." (my capitals).
So this a procedure to which I have right or a decision on the part of some bureaucrat?
your thoughts gentlemen.
Richard

accord DVLAs letter it say you will have to get the pre 1960s vehicle MOTed so you can apply for a reg number

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Yes i spotted the 'MAY' so its not carved in stone!
We shall see as i will have the B25 MOT'd on Tuesday and will go from there.

I published this letter as we (myself and Cuz Andy) were arguing about if he number would be transferable or not - i don't give a damn either way, by the way!
It did answer that argument - we were both right.

Further to all of the above is INSURANCE & ROAD TAX ...

Now, both the 3HW and the B25 are Pre75 (which is a rolling date by the way) which means i pay no road tax -but do i need to provide proof of insurance with the £55 to also road-tax the vehicle.

Well, my Cuz registered his B50 in December and forgot to include proof of insurance which was a Dealer policy so the bike would not show as being insured at the time (FYI he went via the NOVA route as the B50 was an import) but they still processed it anyway.

A couple of weeks after getting his registration, he got a letter advising him to insure the vehicle or SORN it - so the lack of insurance for a tax free vehicle was obviously no problem then !

So on this basis, i will not be showing proof of insurance .... ?

roger beck
accord DVLAs letter it say you will have to get the pre 1960s vehicle MOTed so you can apply for a reg number

I think it's just a standard letter. It doesn't quote any dates.....Does it?

As far as I'm aware it's more or less carved in stone that pre 1960 vehicles are MOT exempt.

However if you want to transfer a cherished number OFF a pre 1960 vehicle, an MOT is required. Otherwise every number on every rusted out wreck in the bushes could have its number transferred....I guess

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh yes, its clear that the DVLA makes money from number plates (is it now a private 'quango' ? or still govt. ??) and dont like others doing likewise.

Anyway, current plan once i get another MOT on the B25 tomorrow, is to send off the MOT as proof of existance + the green log book + photo + forms ##### + £55 registation fee and see what happens.

As for the 3HW, sometime this week i'll fill in MOT form, take some pix and decide how/who to get a dating cert. from .... not sure who yet, the cheapest i guess.

In addition to all the above, i have an imported bsa ... now without engine but with NOVA docs.
The single bit of 'NOVA' paper i thought was incorrect/incomplete - however i now realise thats all you get! And that it is probly the easist way of registering a bike.
Once the B25 paperwork is under way, i may apply to register this BSA ......
And yes, i only have only the one complete engine, but of course as there is no referance made to the engine number in any registration requests - it will be a quick engine swap and down to the MOT station again !!!!

Things could get interesting if the DVLA sends someone out to check on the bike (i understand its about 10% of requests) ........ but may as well play the system thats seems set up to confuse ..........

I know I'm a lazy bu**er but why would you want to register a bike that doesn't have an engine? Why not wait until you've sourced an engine and got it all together. It just seems like a lot of work swapping engines around.

Hi All
For what its worth I have recently successfully applied for an age related plate for my 1942 G3L. It did not require an MOT and the NOVA form/was e-mailed to me from the authorities(I think you only need the ref number they give you). Insured it on the frame number. Sent off the application form along with a cheque for £55. DVLA required the bike to be inspected by their agents. They(DVLA) gave me the contact details. I made contact and said I did not have the means to get the bike to them but they said that was no problem and they came to me spot on the agreed day and time. Inspected the bike took a few photo's on a mobile phone and went. It took the chap longer to drink his coffee. All very helpful, V5 arrived about 10 days later.
Not withstanding the above all the gloom stories are encouraging me to loosely assemble my 1936 AJS, insure it on the frame number and apply for a plate before things get even tighter.
Regards to all
John

['Not withstanding the above all the gloom stories are encouraging me to loosely assemble my 1936 AJS, insure it on the frame number and apply for a plate before things get even tighter.']

I wish my T120R Bonneville was at that stage..It was in bits and incomplete when I bought it (don't tell Swansea)and it's not yet ready to go together yet...

I do have the old green logbook, the purchase receipt from the last owner, who bought it in 1974 when it was 4 years old, and some old MOTs showing the frame number.

However, I'm sill concerned things might be made more difficult.. ..

I really want that original registration number...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

drew
Thank you for your email received on 4/1/16.

I am sorry, but we have no record here for the registration number mentioned in your email.

Therefore you would be unable to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), at this time.

I should explain to you that the DVLA computer register was closed in 1983. After this, vehicles presented for registration were only allowed to display their original numbers if they satisfied certain criteria. However, from 5 November 1990 the rules were changed to allow vehicles to display their original numbers on a non-transferable basis, as long as applicants are able to supply documentary evidence to prove entitlement to the number.

You may therefore be able to keep this number on your vehicle, but it will be non-transferable. In other words, you will not be able to transfer it to another vehicle at a later date.

In order to apply to register the vehicle, please submit the following to a registered owners club (addresses can be found in our booklet V765/1 List of Vehicle Owners Clubs):

• V765 Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number
• V55/5 Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration
• Photograph of the vehicle
• Any evidence pre 1983 i.e. VE60 old style log book, tax disc etc.

The Owners/Enthusiast Club will decide whether the vehicle is eligible to reclaim the original registration number. The Club will advise DVLA of their decision by sending the completed V765 and supporting documents to us.

If the application is successful, you will receive the V5C Registration Certificate in either the non fee paying Historic Taxation class if the vehicle was manufactured pre 01/01/1974 or in fee paying Private Light Goods Taxation class if the vehicle was manufactured after 01/01/1974 within 4 weeks.

When you are ready to tax your vehicle, you may apply in person at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.You will need to submit the following documents:

• V5C Registration Certificate
• Valid MOT Certificate
• Appropriate fee for vehicle tax (if applicable)

You will receive the V5C Registration Certificate within 4 weeks.

If a club refuses your application, you can still register your vehicle under an alternative age related number by post to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BE. Vehicles registered under a newly allocated number will be subject to a first registration fee of £55. The number allocated will be non-transferable.

The V149 Rates of Vehicle Tax can be found at www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

All forms mentioned can be ordered from www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/reply_form_vehicles.html

I remain flabbergasted by this badly-written communication. DVLA rely on unpaid Club officials to validate their applications. The club doesn't 'refuse' anything, it simply states what it believes the machine to be and dates construction accordingly. Although a club could decline to confirm anything, any refusal for age-related status is strictly down to DVLA.

Chronic buck-passing in my opinion.

RIK i've read the various DVLA info to death and come to different 'understandings' each time i do it.

The big thing is not to mention that is been re-constructed or imply its made up from bits - this seems to open up a major can of worms......

Cuz Andy went down the NOVA route in Nov/Dec and yes it was easy, without any visit form anyone.

I've started (and will continue) down the 'green log-book' route thinking it would be easier to reclaim an existing number - it is'nt, and by the DVLA's advice i am re-registering and they will supply a 'period' number, etc. BUT am using the log-book for dating + an MOT for proof of existance.

The 3HW is a 'simple' date and apply jobbie.

As for why i want to register a 'rolling chassis' - I struggle to get round to doing paperwork and am currently in full paperwork mood (also organising trip to Bonneville) so am trying to do stuff while i feel like it.

It will eventually become a road bike, hopefully a B44/B50 is not i will rebiuld and fit a spare B25 engine - though last night i was offered a unit 500 triumph engine ........... hmmmmm.

I registered a bike that was a "basket case" with matching engine and frame, and I wanted an age related plate. I was given a list of all the main motorcycle parts and I had to state what year every part on the list was that was fitted to my bike. I realised what they were doing here, so I wrote every part the same year. If I had written different years for each part I wouldn't have got an age related plate. This was a very long time ago but it seems there attitude is still the same. Also, people tell DVLA too much info like I've built it from bits etc.

I was told of a person who restored a Norton Commando and as the frame number plate was tatty he bought a new one, re-stamped it and riveted it on his newly painted frame. After the bike was complete and looking mint, he got a dating letter from the NOC and all was going well until in conversation with the inspector he said what he's done. They then wouldn't accept the frame number on the new plate. Rule number 1, keep your mouth shut..!! Everything is original and as you found it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

You are quite right, tell them as little as possible. When I built up my BSA Shooting Star in 2007 I told them that it was built from bits. No problem there regarding the issue of a age related plate or the tax exemption, but I have to have an MOT each year. Although the frame is dated 1959 it says on the bottom of the V5c "made from a collection of parts some of which may not be new" this doesn't bother me but proves that you need only tell them what they want to know.

H & IC - yes the keep shtum message came through when i was reading (the wrong) DVLA info.
as soon as the 'new' word was mentioned, even for levers, things became complicated.

Anyway, off to the MOT.

UPDATE ..

BINGO!
One V5 arrived while i was away, no probs ..........

Well a problem for someone else as it now appears i also have a V5 for a 2011 Chevy Camaro, while he has all my paperwork i sent to DVLA - enough for easy identity theft ?????

To confirm what i did;

MOT on bike
Sent copy of above + GREEN LOG BOOK as confirmation of ID/existance
All the ID paper (photo of passport etc.) as requested + £55 cheque.

DID NOT SEND - anything from a club or insurance - so i need to either SORN or road tax the vehicle as soon as it shows on the DVLA computor.

I did not get the number on the GREEN LOG BOOK (i basically applied for a new number), they have sent a transferable (?) age related number and the V% shows the vehicle as being made in 1971 - so no road tax.

So apart from the Camero cock-up, i'm sweet !
One more B25 on/off the road !

Hi All,
I am looking at a 1940 Ontario motorcycle plate I was told by the DMV that if the number is not in use by anyone els that it would be fine to use on the Ariel .
That was easy as long as the DMV GET THERE $$$ everyone is happy

Cheers Steven in Canada

email (option): Goodbell@ripnet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1