Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork straightening precdure

These are John Allison's bent forks. The result of a careless French lady driver last June. I've removed them from his bike and deciding the best way to straighten them ....Both legs have been shunted over to the left.

By drawing a straight line on an old table top and lining the forks up on this line, using the top grease nipple and lower mudguard support as central datum points, I can measure each way at the bottom of the forks. (These measurements are not equal on an M20 as the left leg is splayed out to accept the speedo drive).

By removing the jaws of my vice, I was able to get it to open enough to clamp the forks at the damper spindle tube, and with some careful levering with a big bar and without any heat I was able to lever each leg to its correct distance from the centre line.

I've now got to sort out the bent mudguard tip and headlamp rim before any attempt at paintwork. Ron

photo M20 406_zpsozeyccyp.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Fork straightening precdure

Well done Ron !
Now I know who to turn to when my forks are bent.

Great Stuff !! Thanks for sharing ..

Hurry up Ron

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

Don't worry John....Should be ready for the 75th Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice job Ron!! did same to my Big 4, and it straightened beautiful cold, some good steel there!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net (think about this!)

Yes, nice way to check the forks sideways, of course the forks could also be bended/twisted in other directions.

I try to follow these tips:

photo DSC02409.jpg

By looking along the 3 straight rods in the spindleholes, like the top-left picture, a twisted fork is quickly shown.

Also check that the pins on the links run parallel. Twisted pins will show up when you lay both pins on a flat surface and try to rock.

Good luck, Michiel

Excellent job Ron

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ron
I do believe you are trying to drag this job out ,,,, as the working demonstration in the WD Bike tent / display area during W&P 2016

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

Nieuwe pagina 1