Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wiring (yes i know about the technical section)

We need to see a photo before we can help, but it is a simple wiring diagram to follow. There's only 3 or 4 wires running up the frame, I ran a wire for the earth as well. I'm sure if you laid the loom out on the floor or on the bike and looked at the diagram it will become clear what each wire's for. Get some masking tape and start labelling each wire as you work it out, the battery, front and rear light and horn should be straight forward, then slowly tick off the list.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The colour code will help.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Ok will put some photos up at the weekend when I get home thanks Keith.

I've rewired loads of these WD bikes over the years, and would say that I'd hate to start with a ready made loom! Cables that you don't need and coming from the wrong part of the loom.

If you start with a roll of black cable, these bikes are so simple to re wire by laying each wire in turn by following the diagram. As Horror says, there are only about three cables going up the frame to the headlamp.

I usually start with the regulator. F.A.D.E. Two cables go to the dynamo F and D one to earth E and one to the ammeter A. Once you have done that, it all becomes obvious and quite enjoyable I find.

Have a go! copy a large scale wiring diagram and buy a roll of black cable. You can even get period looking stuff too.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There are shops which sell coloured or two-coloured cables and with the wiring diagram
it is easy to do the job. It is not rocket science. I am sure that a 12 year old can fix that.

By the way, the loom I bought from de Groot BSA had a perfect fit.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

I bought a pre-made wiring loom for my WM20, but when I started to attach it, it was all wrong :-(
I stripped off the outer covering that was binding it all together & started from scratch, following the wiring diagram that I had in front of me.
Everyting was pretty simple to do & there was little modification I needed to do to the original harness I had bought apart from shorten one cable and lengthen another.
If I can help out, I will be glad to.

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Hi All thanks for your help will have a go at weekend also put some photos
up so you can see my battle ha ah thanks Keith.

email (option): keithsprague@hotmail.co.uk

photo image_2.jpeg

Hi as you can see all the wires go together green and green yellow yellow black black the only one is brown The only one left to commit to this purple and white? Should there be a earth connection too?

photo image.jpeg

And these wires yellow one positive there is negative where does the negative to together not quite sure ?

photo image_1.jpeg

Last one just one word help don't no if the is to many wires on this Loom can get some located on switches can anybody help with this really be appreciated not good with wiring electrical things thank you very much Keith.

Keith
 photo image_2.jpeg

Hi as you can see all the wires go together green and green yellow yellow black black the only one is brown The only one left to commit to this purple and white? Should there be a earth connection too?

White / Purple is correct for the 'A' (Ammeter via position 3 on the main switch, usually)) terminal. It is the manufacturer of your electronic regulator who is messing you about there (did it not come with instructions ?)

The 'E' terminal is earth. The black wire should run to earth.

Are you referring to a wiring diagram ?

Keith
 photo image.jpeg

And these wires yellow one positive there is negative where does the negative to together not quite sure ?

On the Norton, the earth runs back to the grub screw on the magdyno body. I don't know if those crimped on eyelets will fit there.

This process really is much easier from scratch with a diagram as you can see where each wire runs from and to before installing.

Keith
 photo image_1.jpeg

Last one just one word help don't no if the is to many wires on this Loom can get some located on switches can anybody help with this really be appreciated not good with wiring electrical things thank you very much Keith.

Keith, I suspect that this is the one area where even those of us who have done it quite a lot have to refer to the diagram. Make sure that you have the correct diagram for your switch (three or four position) Others will run to lamp and ammeter and connect to dipswitch (and possibly horn)

Hi Rik thanks for your time look like am back to the drawing board ha ha

Nieuwe pagina 1