Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One that made it home

Henk how did this one manage to escape you.

eBay number 131638878235

Re: One that made it home

What a load of B******S!...

This bike has numerous post war/pattern/incorrect parts and has quite a few parts missing...

This IS the lashed up M20 the bloke is droning on about in his sales patter....

Don't be fooled for a second..this is not an original or even accurately rebuilt M20...

For £5650 I should have thought the bloke selling it would at least have got it running properly and registered it for the road... ..

Postwar rear frame section
Post war clutch cover (with a postwar 'scripted' oil tank cap fitted)
Civilian light switch
Postwar handlebar levers
Incorrect battery carrier
Incorrect horn for a late bike
Restamped frame number
Pattern parts as listed by the seller
Pattern rear mudguard
Monobloc (postwar) carb
Postwar magneto fitted with slack wire advance
Incorrect silencer and bracket
Sumpguard missing
Pillion seat missing
Incorrect rear mudguard stays
Carrier assembly, bag carriers and Bags and Y straps missing
Incorrect lower front mudguard stay
Postwar dynamo
Postwar steering damper knob
Incorrect blackout mask..

I could go on....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes that all true, but he does have a spark plug fitted to the front fork

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Ian Wright
What a load of B******S!...

Post war clutch cover (with a postwar 'scripted' oil tank cap fitted)

Ian, could you please tell me what the differences are? I thought that the postwar cases had that extra bit of tin over the cushdrive area.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

There are multiple versions of these primary chain case outers...With metal bands, without metal bands, with varying level plug positions, with variations in the position of the chainguard attachments, different clutch bowl depths, with alternator in two different versions, large and small inspection caps etc..

All for the multiple models that used a version of these cases..

One thing that will quickly identify a case as definitely post war though is the chain inspection/oil filler cap...

Post 1947 cases have the plain, domed aluminium plug with a serrated edge and this is smaller in diameter than the wartime cap which is made from brass and has a hexagon cast onto it for tightening...

The one fitted to the bike that is the subject of this post is the smaller, domed 'scripted' plug with oil grades marked on it..
There were even two types of these, one with raised lettering, one with recessed lettering...Both were oil tank caps though, not chaincase plugs....Ian

Sorry for opening a can of worms, it was only to meant to be a bit of banter with Henk.

Ian has listed that he believes the frame number has been retamped, where does that leave you trying to get the motorcycle registered with the DVLA. Jim

It's not just m20s there's a Norton 16h on ebay 131642462166 bit cheaper tho. seller thinks 1939 but its a late war one sernum W96xxx, one of the last. Post war later engine fitted.
I suppose their getting super super rare now, ones with original parts and in original condition. What were left with is modified, knackered and abused bikes. This is despite the relatively large numbers made, I suppose 75 years in our climate and unless kept in a heated air conditioned garage (or front room ) then all thats left is a brown stain on the path.

Jim
Ian has listed that he believes the frame number has been retamped, where does that leave you trying to get the motorcycle registered with the DVLA. Jim

In my opinion, a bit worrying given the current attitude of DVLA....A bright yellow 'Q' plate would be quite possible.

Keith H
It's not just m20s there's a Norton 16h on ebay 131642462166 bit cheaper tho. seller thinks 1939 but its a late war one sernum W96xxx, one of the last. Post war later engine fitted.
I suppose their getting super super rare now, ones with original parts and in original condition. What were left with is modified, knackered and abused bikes. This is despite the relatively large numbers made, I suppose 75 years in our climate and unless kept in a heated air conditioned garage (or front room ) then all thats left is a brown stain on the path.

Keith, it's amazing the number of people who are not aware of the significance of the 'W' prefix on engine and frame numbers.

The frame number is very late and relates to Contract S7010 - an RAF 16H sidecar contract placed 25/10/1944 - I have no details on when it was delivered - It was only for 675 outfits so they could have been built out of sequence and delivered before the last (lower numbered) army machines.

The A2 prefix engine is a 1946 model year civilian 16H.

It's less than perfect, not a proper runner and mix & match. It's an ideal project really. WD16H engines are not too difficult to find....but it's top money for a machine that needs an engine change to build a proper WD bike out of...Maybe someone who just wants a girder Norton might make an offer on it.

Ian,

Thanks for clearing that up for me My chaincase has the larger plug hole,it did have a ali plug in it, I have got a brass one for it now.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

I see that this frame number is on Henks list on the website.I wonder if it is the same bike or he has just stamped the frame to match the motor?

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

so ian listed thing that are not quite right on this bike what would a WW2 BSA M20 in full correct trim cost

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Not much more I suspect...£6000 would buy the best one you could find I should think...

As far as my own bike is concerned I consider it worth more than that but I'm unsure I could get it....

That's what always annoys me about the classic bike market..Projects are too expensive...Tat is too expensive and really well rebuilt bikes are too cheap....Ian

You know that the worlds gone mad when an old M20 can be valued at £6000.

He ask why no one as asked any question, so I replied that pictures paint a thousand words
and he thanked me 🤔

Nieuwe pagina 1