Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel thing..?

This is a strange one, overhead cam, 4 exhausts and 4 carbs facing front and back, 600cc Ariel Square four racer..?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-rarest-ARIEL-SQUARE-4-ex-VINTAGE-RACER-in-the-world-NORTON-wideline-frame-/262116246757?#ht_349wt_1332

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Ariel thing..?

Quite a contraption...There have been various attempts at racing the Square Four, both in this and other early forms and the later '4 piper' versions...

One used to be campaigned with a supercharger fitted as well...

However, although quick the Four wasn't reliable when tuned and blown head gaskets were pretty common I gather (along with other problems)...

I owned a pretty much standard Mk2 for a few years and of all the bikes I've had and sold it's the one I really regret getting rid of...

Smooth, a beautiful sound and with genuine 10-100mph performance in top gear (as often quoted in Ariels publicity) it also has the additional interest of being a unique engine layout....

Below is a picture of my '53 example in the snow...I thought it would be a handful in these conditions but the exceptional pull at low revs and low center of gravity made easy work of winter conditions.....

Fitted into a featherbed frame the Mk2 certainly looks the part but the engine is best left unturned in my opinion....Ian

photo ariel001.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A friend of mine had a 1000cc square four with spare engine and parts, it wasn't all original. He offered it to me for £1000 years ago, I probably should have bought it I've never ridden one either.

I quite like the OHC on this ebay bike, someone's done a lot of work on the engine. It's a shame they didn't take the same care with the rest of it. I wonder what it goes like

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Go on, buy it. We can all see you are really hankering after it :-)

I think this would clean up nice in the proper hands. It looks like it should go like a bat out of hell

email (option): goodbell@ripnet.com

I love this one Dave!
Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

The OHC Sq4 was reputed to be quite fragile, although I believe one at least was supercharged for Brooklands use.
I seem to remember that the mainbearings were a problem to replace being of some very weird size.

His memory is dodgy though, I dealt weekly with Pratts back then, who were not trading till the late 1970s, although there was a bike shop of the old fashioned kind there beforehand, which I also dealt with now and again.
Maybe it was him he bought it from, he sold tat.

Personally I think that bike is a good source of spares, nothing else.

chacun a son gout and all that.

I have a photo somewhere of an ohc Sq4 'chopper' in Spain which was rougher than this one.
But heres one I did earlier.................

photo sq4.jpg

The geometry looks all wrong for a featherbed. Has it been stretched or raked or something ?

I'm not sure about the 'raced in the 1950s' aspect either. It's a wideline from a road-going single and they weren't sold until 1959...It looks to me like a bit of early 1970s posing tackle.

This is the only wartime square 4 photo I could find, not doubt impressed from a civilian during the occupation.

photo 9waua9GCn2U9.jpg

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1