Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DRs in training!

What ho, chums!

Just found this film on the Ariel Owners club site. I've never seen it before and thought it might be new to some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz5ep4kDcMg#t=391

Anyway - enjoy! Regards, MikeN.

email (option): nash756@btinternet.com

Re: DRs in training!

I was sent this also. They all look like Matchless G3's to me. I've never seen this footage before. It's in colour with music and about half hour long and worth making a cup of tea and settle down with large screen and sound on.....Great stuff! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Brilliant, did I see an AA badge stuck on the front mudguard of one of the bikes?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Your eyes are better than mine as usual Rob Ron

Really interesting film with some good close ups of G3 controls. Yes, I did spot the chrome AA badge as well! I remember the roads of the 1950s in UK being still just like that. "Must-see" viewing if you have a G3! Thanks for posting.

email (option): Fergusanckorn@icloud.com

Thanks for the heads up. A nice addition to the other more well known piece from the YFA, by the same film maker.

Reminds me when I was a 15 year old kid riding old track bikes through woods and along old disused railway lines, We actually had a couple of old ex wd Matchlesses but they didnt last long as they were thrashed to death then shoved into the railway track which was used by local council as a rubbish tip! the bikes of choice were BSA B31 these took the hammering and were easy to work on reliable and cheap parts everywhere.. Happy days Dave

My feelings exactly, Dave, even though I was on the other side of the pond, and the bikes we were riding were enduros!

As a newcomer to WD bikes, I thoroughly enjoyed that from start to finish, but especially the second half, when the DR's were training cross-country, and standing up on the pegs most of the time. In fact, I sent the link to a few friends of mine chiding me for my newfound interest in what they consider a putt-putt bike.

I do have a question: what was the significance of the red "L" on the white shield on the rear mudguard that was removed when their training was complete? Did it stand for Learner?

That's exactly what it is Duke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-plate

Ron

If ever any of you chaps are in this area and want to have a guided tour around the locations used in these bits of film (ancient or modern bikes - doesn't matter) then I will be happy to oblige. Get some 'then and now' photos maybe?

What is the location? and which stately home did they use?

Rob

Yes, nice piece of film, have it on dvd somewhere though.

Locations would be nice to know, somewhere near a mine I would say? somewhere between Huddersfield and Wakefield??

Have a friend in Huddersfield, so when over there could wander over....

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net (think about this)

Thanks, Ron.

Having a go at the same course sounds like fun, especially the hill climb and the "limbo" trail. (Since they set us up with some scenes of toppled riders earlier, I kept waiting for one of them to get unseated by that tree!)

Rob. The stately home is Wentworth Woodhouse, HQ of Military Intelligence (North) in WW2. There is no 'general' public access to the main building other than some organised short tours (at a price). Although the grounds have public paths through them that pass along the front of the stables visible in the films. The house has the longest frontage of any similar home in Europe. Situated near Rotherham/Barnsley in South Yorkshire. Most, but not all (yet), of the locations shown in both the films I have been able to track down. Some are just in the deer park adjacent to the house, others are further afield going out nearly as far as the tank battle school training ground north of Sheffield. Town shots are in both Barnsley and Rotherham. It has made an interesting exercise for many a summer evenings ride :-).

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Sounds like a fun project, have you done any then and now comparison photos you could post here.

Rob

I did try to get a few riders together to do a re-stage at some of the obvious spots a few years back but it did not come to anything. Reasonably enough, everybody seems to have their own schedule come the riding season so I never did take any. But it would be no trouble taking some, without bikes, and putting them up for viewing if there is interest in that. But it will be next sunny season now :-).

Nieuwe pagina 1