The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barn Find BSA WDM20

hi Duke,
I like the tank as-is. Plenty character. Looking through the paint layers is like looking through time. Love it.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Perspective (or is it recall?) for everyone including Duke: All of these bikes were "rebuilt" by REME in the 50s, and they weren't shy about swapping an engine, tank, etc. Unless you know what REME did to your bike there is no way to "reverse engineer" the bike from such things as the shape of the tank, etc. The frame number is the only thing that can be relied on now to determine whether the bike is early, mid or late war. And remember that "preserving" in the case of these bikes means doing so as they appeared after they got worked over by REME, not as they originally left the factory or as they appeared during their intended (war) use. There are still some non-rebuilt bikes around, I think mostly in the middle-east, but yours is not one of them, in view of the REME tag.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Cas
hi Duke,
I like the tank as-is. Plenty character. Looking through the paint layers is like looking through time. Love it.

Thanks, Cas. I plan to leave it as-is.

John Harris
Perspective (or is it recall?) for everyone including Duke: All of these bikes were "rebuilt" by REME in the 50s...

That is my understanding, John. What I aim to preserve is the entire history of the bike. As someone put it on another site: "She's earned her warts!" I was curious about the tank, but that' as far as I plan to go. Thanks.

Nieuwe pagina 1