Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barn Find BSA WDM20

Duke , are you down Florida way USA, if so your bike came from batch shipped over from Germany from war reserve stocks, , exported from Belgium, in the 70s, they all seem to have a pale green over spray over post war shiny green, I have one that I brought back from Florida three or five years ago, andrew

email (option): warbikes at gee male dot cmm, (think about this)

doug price
I have an M20 that came from the same REME shop in 1953.

Our bikes sound like third cousins, doug! I am gathering that "WKSP" is short for "Workshop" and "4 BASE" identifies which one? Do you know where it was located in Germany?

the early fat tanks are 3 1/2 imp gallon, these have the petrol cap hinged at the front and are very bulbous in appearance.
yours is the 3 gal mid service non cutaway..

email (option): chris dot astinbarker at bt internet dot com

Nice find mate!

I found this one in SanFrancisco a couple years ago which has some of the markings that are on your bike.

Regards,
Ben.

photo P1080840_zps636da76f.jpg

andrew hemsley
Duke , are you down Florida way USA, if so your bike came from batch shipped over from Germany from war reserve stocks, , exported from Belgium, in the 70s, they all seem to have a pale green over spray over post war shiny green, I have one that I brought back from Florida three or five years ago, andrew

Andrew,

I am not in Florida and the bike was not in Florida, either. That doesn't mean much, though, of course, given the fact that it only weighs 400 lbs and will fit in the bed of a pick-up truck. It might have come out of that batch. The prior owner had a lot of wartime surplus and doesn't remember exactly where he purchased the bike or when, only that it was many years ago. It doesn't have a title, but he wasn't concerned about the results of the title/lien/VIN search that I will have to do to title it in my state of residence. Meaning, I doubt it ever had a title, and I suspect he was the first owner here in the US.

As for the colour, I'm glad you brought that up. If I describe what I have maybe it will help identify the bike's wartime history further, without having to wet sand the tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pale" overspray. The top coat of paint on my bike is a dark green that I would call moss green. There is not a trace of olive in it, as far as I can tell, but perhaps British OD shades are different than US. It may lighten up with a proper cleaning, but if I had to guess using the colours in the Tech Section here, I would call it Deep Bronze Green No. 24. The coat is very uneven, thick in places, and very thin in others, applied by hand with a brush. It is not flat. Either gloss or semi-gloss.

In the thin places I can see what looks like a layer of brighter green underneath. That layer, too, has no trace of olive in it. It is almost what I would call Kelly green. Again, if I had to take a SWAG, it looks closest to the Light Green G5 in the Tech Section here. And it is not flat either. It is gloss or semi-gloss.

This is the same color that is on several hard-to-reach places that did not get Private Snuffy Smythe's dark green gloppy top coat - such as the inside of the panniers frame and the underside of both front and rear mudguards. Those places have the exact same color as the places where I rubbed off the gloppy dark green top coat to read the frame and engine VINs. That brighter Kelly-like green layer seems to have been sprayed, not brushed. That color can be seen in some of my close-ups at the link above. Can anyone identify it as the wartime coat? It looks awfully bright to me.

chris b
the early fat tanks are 3 1/2 imp gallon, these have the petrol cap hinged at the front and are very bulbous in appearance.
yours is the 3 gal mid service non cutaway..

Thanks. As Ian and Henk have told me. And my filler cap hinges at the back.

Ben Cameron
Nice find mate!

I found this one in SanFrancisco a couple years ago which has some of the markings that are on your bike.

Regards,
Ben.

Thanks, Ben. Indeed, our bikes look like siblings. Yours is in even better condition than mine, I have to admit. Incredible! It looks to be a lighter shade of green, but I suspect that might change when I clean mine. I see your tank has the fittings for the knee grips. I'm going to have to check mine more thoroughly.

I look forward to trading more notes.

This confusion with fuel tanks stems largely from the fact that there is no standardised terminology or historic name for these components...as in so many areas of life, one man's 'fat' is anothers 'slimline'!

Early fuel tanks were based on the pre-war BSA style and were quite large externally but this was not reflected in the capacity as they had substantial cut-outs underneath to facilitate fitment above OHV engines. There was then a change over to a WD-specific more or less flat-bottomed tank and the overall size was reduced, giving a modest reduction in capacity but not nearly as much as might be expected, given the reduction in external size.

Many of the large fuel tanks sold pre-war were of the instrument panel (deLuxe)variety so were smaller capacity anyway.

I tend to think of these large early tanks as rather slab-sided, not bulbous at all, but someone seems to have coined the name 'balloon' tank and it has stuck. The later, smaller tank looks more rounded (and went on to give a silhouette to the post-war BSAs).

Your tank should have the threaded knee grip inserts, regardless of when it was made. Even when rubbers were deleted, they continued and were used as mountings for the tank-top air filters fitted in some theatres (and eventually to all of the last production models as they were intended for the continuing conflict in the Far East).

The British Army changed back to a gloss 'Bronze Green' after the war. This is lighter than most of the shades known as 'British Racing Green' (a touch more yellow) but still quite dark - To the best of my memory growing up in a garrison town, this continued until the adoption of NATO IRR green in the late 1970s. Any other colour is likely to have been applied after demob, perhaps to give a more wartime appearance along with the home-made blackout mask.

Incidentally, 'Series' Land-Rovers were delivered to both military and civilian customers in 'Bronze Green' through the 1960s and 1970s so the colour is well-known and widely available.

Rik
Your tank should have the threaded knee grip inserts, regardless of when it was made.

Thanks, Rik.

Rik
The British Army changed back to a gloss 'Bronze Green' after the war. This is lighter than most of the shades known as 'British Racing Green' (a touch more yellow) but still quite dark

I suspect this is the color of the overcoat on mine.

But what do you make of the layer of bright, Kelly, almost lime green underneath that layer?

That green is the same color that is under the mudguards on my bike and on the inside of the pannier frame where the brush would not easily reach. That can't be a wartime color, can it?! It doesn't look like any of the colours displayed in the Technical Info section.

I've been going through photos of bikes to try to match this color to. Unfortunately, most of the WD bikes in the Rally photo section and the Visitor photo section have been restored. I did find one bike in the Visitors section that looks to be more or less in original condition that has a similar shade of green as the layer under my topcoat.

Cymon Charnley, Uganda

Thoughts?

Doug Price,

Disregard my request for the REME info. I just stumbled on your reply to a Denis J from San Francisco from a few years ago, who, like Ben Cameron (also from San Francisco!), you, and I, all seem to have bikes re-built around the same time at the same REME workshop, which I now know was located in Bad Oeynhausen. Thanks. Denis J's bike and my bike were re-built 2 months apart.

I took the tank off today to inspect it, and my curiosity got the better of me. I did a little light wet sanding with fine grit sandpaper to see if I could get down to the wartime layer of paint and expose any wartime markings. Unsuccessfully, I'm afraid.

Despite going slow and easy, I had terrible results on the offside.

I had better luck on the near side, revealing what looks like the remnants of a white C number, but I can't make heads or tails out of the numerals.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut209/library/BSA%20WDM20/Petrol%20Tank%20Markings?sort=3&page=1

Sorry,Duke-I honestly didn't know there were three tank variations-I guess I learn something new every day! Here's my '44 from the 4 Base Workshop:

photo bsa2.jpg

email (option): m20wc51@yahoo.com

Hi doug,

No problem.

Nice bike! What is the red marking on the oil tank?

I replaced the markings I found under layers of paint when I repainted it. There was a red "CP" on the oil tank. No idea what it signified.

email (option): m20wc51@yahoo.com

CP is usually the army acronym for 'Command Post' Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

hi Duke,
I like the tank as-is. Plenty character. Looking through the paint layers is like looking through time. Love it.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Perspective (or is it recall?) for everyone including Duke: All of these bikes were "rebuilt" by REME in the 50s, and they weren't shy about swapping an engine, tank, etc. Unless you know what REME did to your bike there is no way to "reverse engineer" the bike from such things as the shape of the tank, etc. The frame number is the only thing that can be relied on now to determine whether the bike is early, mid or late war. And remember that "preserving" in the case of these bikes means doing so as they appeared after they got worked over by REME, not as they originally left the factory or as they appeared during their intended (war) use. There are still some non-rebuilt bikes around, I think mostly in the middle-east, but yours is not one of them, in view of the REME tag.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Cas
hi Duke,
I like the tank as-is. Plenty character. Looking through the paint layers is like looking through time. Love it.

Thanks, Cas. I plan to leave it as-is.

John Harris
Perspective (or is it recall?) for everyone including Duke: All of these bikes were "rebuilt" by REME in the 50s...

That is my understanding, John. What I aim to preserve is the entire history of the bike. As someone put it on another site: "She's earned her warts!" I was curious about the tank, but that' as far as I plan to go. Thanks.

Nieuwe pagina 1