Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 gearbox oil leak on side stand

Neale Gentner advises to leave both seals on the bearing. Anyone want to comment on that?

Also, what would the front bearing number be if I wanted a sealed bearing there too?

thanks in advance

Cas

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

The theory of removing the inside seal is that the bearing is lubricated by the gearbox oil. On the other hand, a sealed bearing is supposed to be lubricated for life, so why not leave it as it is?

I was given the same advice about the rear mainshaft bearing for a Jeep gearbox. The upgraded replacement bearing had metal seals both sides and I was told to leave them in place. also working on the assumption that some oil would eventually seep in anyway.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Don't forget he is saying leak when on the side stand. This could be the small felt seal under the cork ring on the mainshaft. Oil may be running through the sleeve gear and down the gearbox sprocket when on the side stand. May be worth checking out first as it may save a gearbox removal and strip.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternat.com

['The theory of removing the inside seal is that the bearing is lubricated by the gearbox oil. On the other hand, a sealed bearing is supposed to be lubricated for life, so why not leave it as it is?']

I was advised to remove the inner seal as the gearbox oil serves to cool as well as lubricate the gearbox bearing....That advice came from the ex chief development engineer at RHP bearings who is also a BSA enthusiast...

I chose to follow that advice as I thought he was well qualified to give it...I'm not an expert on the subject myself I have to say...

Regarding the imperial bearing at the other end of the main shaft there is no benefit in using a sealed bearing as it lies entirely within the gearbox and there is oil present on both sides of the inner cover in which it is mounted....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Mine has been leaking since 1969 when I bought my bike and no doubt it leaked before. Don't worry, just top up now and then and put it on the rear stand in the garage.
Richard

Hi.I thought about leaving the oil leak but people don't like you leaving oil on their driveway then walking into their house. As for leaving the oil seal in both sides and if the oil seeps past the seal it may push out the seal into the gearbox causing damage. I will let you know if it doesn't work....

email (option): richard.a.yard@btinternet.com

I would allways leave the inner seal out. As you say, over time oil will creep in and cannot get out once the bike is started.

Nieuwe pagina 1