Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Netley Marsh...

I spent far too much money but had a great time. Thanks to Ron for the B&B and all the people here that made it a good weekend

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Sold lots, bought lots, drank lots & had a good craic at both Netley Marsh & after at Beaulieu on Saturday & Sunday

Netley however is clearly losing badly now to Beaulieu & unless something is done to rejuvenate this event - it could possibly disappear

As a punter arriving at Netley Marsh on Saturday - it must be hugely disappointing to see so many established traders gone & big empty spaces - especially when you still pay top dollar to get in the door

I hope it's sorted as I agree with Rob - possibly best weekend of the year

Good to see all of you this weekend

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I've been to every Netley Marsh as a stall holder since it started..and that was in response to the high entry costs at Beaulieu...

I think the only chance they have is to move it entirely away from the Beaulieu weekend or alternatively to insist that stall holders booking for the event must do both days...

It really annoys me that traders show so little commitment to either the event or the unfortunate 'punters' who can only make the second day...

Like John, I also believe it will fail as an event if Mortons don't wake up to that danger and do something positive to prevent it...

If it happens that will be a sad day, the event is reasonably close to the Southwest (about 140 miles for me), is reasonably priced for a stallholder and has always had a good relaxed atmosphere...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I agree that something should be done to avoid the overlap with Beaulieu, which culminates in the exodus of both traders and punters. My solution would be to move it forward to the Thursday and Friday for the punters. The foreigners come over anyway, regardless of it being mid week. Anyone else would simply have to take time off work if possible. That would leave a completely clear weekend for everyone to visit Beaulieu.

I left early on Saturday as I had no stock left. I would have liked to have just shut my stall and become a punter......But no point if half the dealers had left.

Morton's are a law unto themselves and just seem intent on grabbing as much money as possible off everyone. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Its a tricky one

If the two events were on different weekends I would probably only be willing to drive up once, in which case I would have to choose, I like them both but Beaulieu would probably win.

If Netley moved back to Thursday/Friday you would loose a section of the public who can't get time off in the week, we all know that a lot of the good stuff has sold on Friday and yet people still attend on Saturday, they presumably were working?

Mortons already charge considerably less on Saturday because they know how things will be, and they can't demand that stall holders stay on Saturday until 4pm because they know they will loose too many stalls to Beaulieu.

It seems to me the situation at present is as good as it can be under the circumstances.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I don't think having the event on weekdays is a solution...Many people have a limited amount of annual leave and also have to consider family commitments.

Not everyone can necessarily get a day off when they want it either..

That was certainly the case in my last job where a certain number of people had to be on site as it was a production facility...it was strictly 'first come first served' for leave...

The 'status quo' plainly isn't working either for the punters, stall holders or in the longer term for Mortons...They won't get to take anyones money if the event closes through lack of support...

Doing nothing is easy but absolutely won't work in my opinion. The situation as it is currently illustrates that fact..

If Netley and Beaulieu are far enough apart 'having to make a choice' wouldn't really be an issue for stall holders...If both events were good and provided an opportunity to make money they would do both...

On the 27th. of this month I am going to Shepton Mallet and in early October to Stafford...Three jumbles in 6 weeks...

The key thing is to revive Netley Marsh and halt the decline...

I think it is a well enough established event to be a 'stand alone' event, not sharing a weekend with Beaulieu...

In the short term numbers may be affected but I believe once punters realise it's a full two day event and there will be a full quota of traders they will increase in numbers...Holding the event over the two weekend days will also help improve visitor numbers IMO....Ian

Speaking of dealers at Netley. Does anyone have contact details for the couple who were selling mudguard blanks? I think his name is Simon. Originally it was 'Renovation Spare' but it's changed hands a couple of times over the last few years. They are usually at Kempton and I'd like to talk to them about a project before my next visit to Kempton on the 19th. Ron

It is Simon..Still Trading as Renovation Spares I believe...

01527 402654 Mob. 07976695435.. Ian

The problem is Mortons pure and simple.

As long as they have anything to do with it it'll get worse.

I have been to everyone of this event since the very beginning,even as a punter I was then fed up with Beaulieu.

Mortons are a greedy lot, worse even than Carole Cash-Stash before them, so they have obviously got some money angle on it thats good for them.

Beaulieu would be a lot better, considering the size of it, if the gates were opened much sooner.

My personal feeling is that the monolithic Mortons has done old bikes in general a lot of harm.

I don't think a monopoly generally does anyone any favours...

I note Mortons have just taken over BSH magazine..That doesn't bother me directly but the fact Mortons own nearly every title leads to a dull, formulaic style with no variation from title to title...

Regarding the jumbles the Spring Stafford show has held up well under Mortons ownership and I would say the Autumn Stafford is getting better...

It should also be remembered that the recession has had an effect on jumbles..there just isn't as much spare money about...I have noticed how much more careful people are being with their buying decisions even when they do decide to go to a jumble...

Gone are the days when as the gates opened a human tsunami descended on the stalls determined to grab that part they were after...

I've never had a real problem with Mortons as a stall holder but I do feel the monolithic structure they have built and the people who operate within it are too slow to react to changes as they occur...
The fact is both the classic bike scene and the economy are subject to gradual and at times rapid changes. Those have to be recognised and reacted to when necessary ...Ian

Whether people like it or not Netley is a Thursday and Friday event. I got there Thursday and all the bargains were being snapped up before the gates opened on Friday, and then everything else went. Friday is still a work day for most people so the only thing you can do is have a day off work if you want a chance of getting anything. It suites me fine like this but if they want to make it a weekend event, don't open the gates until Saturday.
I went to Beaulieu last year and was surprised at the lack of bike parts, I much prefer Netley

There was one other factor this year, the Dorset steam fair at Blandford was also on that weekend, which is another massive event.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ian Wright
It is Simon..Still Trading as Renovation Spares I believe...

01527 402654 Mob. 07976695435.. Ian

Cheers Ian. I'll give these numbers a try. I already accidentally phoned the original guy (Peter) of Renovation Spares. Needless to say, he didn't want to help. But Richard at Moretons has phoned Simon on my behalf.....But nothing better than doing it myself.

Cheers Ron

I bet Pete Lovett was really happy you rang him....Don't you remember he told you before he wanted to retire?... ...Ian

He told me more than that Ian.....After I cancelled a cheque I paid him for a shoddy guard Ron

I see that Eric Patterson has sold the Kempton Jumble rights to...Mortons.

I can't blame Eric. He's worked damned hard over the years and the jumble reflected his input as a fellow enthusiast...but big business is winning and the monopoly position is reinforced.

Thank f*ck for Beaulieu !

This follows on from Westworth flogging RealClassic to Mortons, which I thought was more than a bit naff as he set it up as an antidote to Morton's offerings and it got support on that basis. Again, cannot blame him, and to be fair, RC is still several cuts above other mags, but I still feel sold out. The trouble is,such companies are run by accountants and the tendency is to maximise profit and cut costs, usually by "hollowing out" the business. We shall see, shall we not? First up, I forecast a "change" to admission and vendor prices! (Blimey, I am getting cynical in my old age!)

Personally I don't rate Beaulieu and am constantly surprised at the enthusiasm for it...I regard it and believe it to be, primarily a car event and they have never shown much enthusiasm for the bike side...

I still pay less for my stall at Netley than it cost at Beaulieu when Netley first started!...

I'm sure that if Netley did fail, or was moved to another date, the prices would rise again at Beaulieu as they took advantage of their monopoly...

If Mortons make the right decisions to halt the decline of Netley...and I think that could be done...then I would go for Netley every time if I had to choose...

As noted previously I do think Mortons have become slow to react to change and arguably don't really understand the requirements of the punters...

However, as a stall holder over a long period they have never caused me much bother...

Eric Patterson has obviously decided to retire and has sold the business on...
It happens to have been bought by Mortons and has thus been saved from closure...There is no guarantee whatsoever that anyone else would have stepped up with the right amount of money for that to happen so I wouldn't be too quick to criticise them....

I'm sure Eric would have sold to a higher bidder had there been one..I guess there wasn't..Ian

I like both Netley and Beaulieu they both have good and bad points ,but the fact is the one day of the year I spend at Beaulieu is probably my favourite day of the year.

Rob

I have just booked a pitch at Netley Marsh for this year, I will be at half way along the top hedge by the woods stall A16.

Rob

I'm at my usual B8 somewhere near opposite you Rob.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1