Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Age related registration .

Thought you'd all like to know I received a letter of approval for my application for age related registration status for my 1944 WM20 today from the DVLA , with an actual V5 document sent in a separate envelope . Hooray .
Strangely , though , I also received a 'number plate authorisation certificate' , stamped with a date , and an explanatory note telling me I must present this authorisation certificate to a DVLA approved number plate maker within six weeks of the date stamped upon it in order to have a number plate made for the bike . The note goes on to say that after the expiry date on the certificate no duplicates will be issued and I would no longer be able to use it to have a number plate made . Considering the fact that the DVLA have just given me an age related registration for this bike , with a brand new V5 document to prove it , I find it a bit odd to be told that I now have six weeks to obtain a number plate , or else ? A pointless excersise or what? Surely the fact that the've issued a V5 in my name for this bike means that I ought to now be allowed to take as long as I like to have an actual number plate made for the thing ? Needless to say I will have a number plate made within the six week period just to shut them up , after all I'm bloody grateful that I've managed to get an age related registration for the bike given the current ultra beurocratic state of affairs , and if I have to jump through this one last hoop to secure the V5 once and for all then I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth . Still , I have to say it seems a bit silly. Any thoughts , anyone? Regards Leif .

Re: Age related registration .

Leif if you go to Halfords or any other motor shop you would normally just have to show your V5C and possibly some ID. On the other hand the dealers who sell number plates including the classic B&W plates at shows and jumbles don't usually even bother to ask for documents.

I never buy number plates for my WD vehicles anyway! I simply buy a stencil from Axholm Signs or Classic transfers and spray my own numbers on with a rattle can. All quite legal as they would have been painted on at that period.

The DVLA's stupid rule about not being able to buy number plates without proof is to stop bank robbers buying fictitious plates easily

A friend of mine lost the 'stick on' front plate off his car in Chertsey once and was unable to buy a replacement in the only motor shop he could find because he didn't have his V5C with him.......Even though the car was just around the corner in a car park. He had to risk the 90 mile motorway trip home without it. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Do these "authorized" number plate suppliers inform DVLA that you have purchased a plate? It almost sounds like you are "activating" your vehicle ready for the road.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Its bizarre , isn't it ? Its like buying a cinema ticket and then being told to obtain an invoice to show that you bought the cinema ticket before you can go in and see the film ! I plan to get a plate made by Classic Plates Online , by the way , as they do nice ones in brushed aluminium with raised numbers . Cost about forty quid . Nothing but the best for my bike . I only wonder what the DVLA will be telling people next ? That they'll need to inspect your number plate once you've got one , probably .

No Rob! I get the same authorisation letter if I do a cherished number transfer and they barely even look at it, let alone act on it.

For the XWD number I put on my van last year, I just ordered the plates on line and again they didn't ask for proof. Like this firm here where they will sell you illegal (SHOW) plates and they advertise "no documents required".

http://www.myshowplates.com/index.asp

Makes a mockery of the DVLA jobsworth rules. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It shouldn't cost £40 Leif, I bought one with raised letters and it was £25. Maybe shop around, there's lots of companies doing them.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1