Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Levers

Does this mean I've got to find something else wrong with your Norton's when I'm at yours next Lovely Job Ron

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

No chance Horror! From now on, only Wendy will be allowed in the shed with me

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Horror
Does this mean I've got to find something else wrong with your Norton's when I'm at yours next Lovely Job Ron

You too huh? am not allowed anymore!!

Cheers,

Lex

Ps, after '43 the small hex levers appeared on Nortons, and in '45 the 7/8" small hex levers. not as bad as some other makes??

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net

And that goes for Rik too! No more Norton experts allowed! The stress causes me to drink too much whiskey and you know how much I hate the stuff Ron

Ron, I'm hurt !

I thought that I'd earned a visit to the world's only known surviving ex-RAF swd Big 4 !

Would it help if I had the hip flask handy ?

Yeah but!! You might bring Jan, and he'll start looking at Enfield rivets

Ron

Ron, you show me yours and I'll show you mine! :-) Just received all my chromed parts and am starting to reassemble my 16H right now!

photo IMG_1331.jpg

You should worry about rivets on your Enfield Ron!
Mind you I could do with Jan in my workshop for a fortnight to ID all the bits under the bench! One Day!!!
Regards
Paul

email (option): paul@holmesfamily.ws

Did I hear my name...?

You can also send me some pictures Paul! Maybe I'll make you an offer!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Me too Paul. Ron

Lex, should my Norton Big 4 have these types of levers fitted? My bike is a very late one from 1942 I think. I fitted it with the later Doughty one with the folded brake and clutch levers. With the early ones what did the brake and clutch levers look like? Looks like I might also be on the hunt for some. Cheers, John

As far as I'm aware they were used up until about 1940, so the other type of Doherty choke and advance levers were used after that.

Hi all,

Will try to put up a pictorial timeline for the levers used, but that will take some time! it's not easy though! anyway B4's seem to have lagged behind with updates on 16H's, and the cutoff date for solid lever pivots are more 1941 then 1940, and even then it was in 2 or 3 stage versions, starting with the pivot bracket, from folded steel with solid lever blades, going to full folded steel ones in 1943-ish. This was presumably done as the cast pivot brackets damaged/broke much much more in use then the lever blades, so there was a large stock still from those, and had to be used up first.

Interesting subject, and what research I had done before seems to indicate late (1942) Big 4's had the folded steel pivots and solid (steel) blades.

The small hex adv./ret. levers were not introduced till 1943/44 as far as I can see, they preceded the ones used for the 7/8" bars in 1944/1945, where the levers were all folded steel, but a different version Doherty again!

Then there is the "C" clamps for the levers that went from solid brass to solid steel (all matt chrome plated) to the folded steel strip version all cad plated.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net (think about this!)

That would be great if you could do that Lex. My 16H has one of each on it but I have the other ones so I can correct it which ever type is correct.

Nieuwe pagina 1