Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: licence plate ; number plate ; registration plate

They would have been sign written, and each sign writer would have done it "there" way, so the font would be different depending on who did it. You can't say one is correct and another wrong.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

looking at some common fonts and comparing with the 'official' document

ARIAL & CALIBRI are pretty close, but you need something between Bold and Regular set (I use 'Bold' and it don't look right!)
You would also need to shuffle height and spacing to required 1/4" or so.

Print on paper, cut out and hold in place with PritStick then roll paint on.

I once used AVERY label paper as a mask - DONT - took me ages to get the label off!
You can also get 'low-tack' masking film, but many printer inks wont 'take' (I think a laser printer is ok) - once used this stuff successfully for a 'flame job' as I'm no good with an air-brush.

Better still find a sign writer or one of those guys that do Pub Menu boards ....?

email (option): ginantonik@tiscali.co.uk

Well it's like this Officer..

'They would have been sign written, and each sign writer would have done it "there" way, so the font would be different depending on who did it. You can't say one is correct and another wrong.'. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The 'font' if we must call it that is 'Competent Signwriter with a 3/8" Brush'

If the dimensions given above are kept to, with vertical and horizontal lines true and curves of even radius, the natural result will be correct. Everything comes from the width of the brush and the need to overlap changes of direction.

Period photographs of UK registered motorcycles are not scarce. The answer is to look at as many as possible and perhaps discuss them with someone like Tony Pearson at Axholme Signs. For a reasonable cost, he'll put everything on a single stencil (after sending a draft for approval first).

Luckily I still have the services of a traditional signwriter who does all my number plates, Div Signs, unit numbers and any lining and gold leaf work on my civvy bikes...

I think he has done just about every bike I've had since about 1971...

Unfortunately it's a skill set which is in sharp decline generally...Ian

photo enfield001.jpg

720B33008 photo 720B33008.jpg

photo Image1.jpg

photo Ianwithbikes002.jpg

NigP
Lex

I did say close - not exact.
As you will be aware there are a VAST number of fonts - i limited myself to easily found Microsoft type fonts.

Between my CAD software and some Design/Art software I have, there are over 3000 different fonts !!!!!!!!
Many of which I cannot see any difference !

Being picky - your '9, 4 & 7' are nothing like the Fig 30 -

But then again my suggestions are nothing like either ......

Find a sign writer and have it done properly .

Yes Nigel I know, have books and books of the fonts!

But the examples I put up above here, are from the little vinyl stickers you can buy on jumbles and such, and the guys who are selling them, say it's the official font! so who knows, maybe the legislation and official fonts didn't come out till after the war?

Can't understand nobody here knows anything about the legal requirements in his country In Holland I know exactly what I can do or not, and it's mostly all written down somewhere from the beginning of the first cars on the roads.

And what do I use?, british fonts and colours, and never been stopped once!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbXXX.net (think about this!)

Lex, there is no mandatory font for pre-1973 vehicles. Don't forget that the UK never had officially issued plates.

If the signwriting complies with the dimensions then it's legal. It simply has to be clearly legible.

The sort of commonsense practice which was once so prevalent in the United Kingdom, prior to it signing up for a German-dominated European Union with rules in triplicate for everything.

['Lex, there is no mandatory font for pre-1973 vehicles.']...

Yes...I've seen a few original pre war plates with a 'seriphed' style font...

Post war, up till the introduction of reflective plates, the vast majority of plates conformed to the sizes laid down, being either sign written, using self adhesive characters or pressed aluminium plates..

Even the early reflective plates used self adhesive characters so the spacing and plate size could be 'adjusted'...

However, before reflective plates, it wasn't uncommon to see plates hand painted by the owner and nobody seemed to mind as long as they were easily read...I've done a few like that myself..Ian

I have had a pressed aluminum plate made for my Manx, I spoke to the people that make them and as Rik has stated, there's no legal size for pre 73 black and white plates. So they've made it using front number plate sizes letters which is perfectly legal (officer )

Rik says theres no mandatory FONT. The letters must conform to the correct sizes as previously mentioned.

I think the basic answer is that until the late 50's there was no FONT even mentioned, just size and spacing to ensure its easy to read. and satisfy the MOT'er.
Pressed number plates were made pre-war but were much more common post war, as for stick on letters ?

Luckily there are very few police about these days of cost cutting - just don't fall off in a hedge ......

email (option): ginantonik@tiscali.co.uk

MOT's didn't start till about 1960. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Keith H
Rik says theres no mandatory FONT. The letters must conform to the correct sizes as previously mentioned.

Sorry I misread what Rik said, but the fact is there is no legal size for pre 1973 number plates and letters. Here's the guide lines for reg plates, note it goes into great detail about modern plates but nothing about pre 73 plates except the colour and that the plate can use 3 lines and not just 2.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

If you look at this place that do pre 1973 motorcycle reg plates you'll see you can have 1 3/4" or 2 1/2" letters on the rear plate, both are legal on pre 73 bikes.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ceneyservices/Cycle-Pre-1-Jan-1973-/_i.html?_fsub=6955842015

2 1/2" over 3 lines;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Vintage-Black-Silver-Pressed-Motorcycle-Shield-Number-Plate-Triumph-/261825619930

1 3/4" over 2 lines;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Vintage-Black-Silver-Pressed-Aluminium-Scooter-Number-Plate-/251584511250

Nieuwe pagina 1