The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 Fairy

Glad you're getting the hang of it

Since I've had my mag rewound on my 16H I would bet anyone my bike will start first kick. I never think it won't start.
I've been having starting problems with my Manx, and when you're bumping it up and down the road the novelty soon wears off. There's a nice blue spark on the HT lead, but not when you put a plug on the end. So enough's enough and I've just dropped the mag off at my local rewinders and he's confirmed it's down on power. How many months of messing about has that caused...!

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yep it's usually the mag! Pretty well every bike I own has had the mag rebuilt without question. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Funny things magnetos.

I fitted a NOS Lucas to my '38 bike back in the 1970's, I have ridden that bike to the south of France and the borders of Spain; in all weathers, snow torrential rain, heat and its never let me down or failed to start the bike. In fact it's never had the points changed.
I use Lodge platinum tip plugs which never seem to wear out much, but most of all that magneto has never had a suppresssed plug cap at the end of its lead. That or a resistor plug.
I reckon they are the cause of most mag failures whether fitted now or in the past at some time.
In fact, DH Day of Swindon, the guy who overhauled the magneto on another, older bike stated right off that if you fitted a suppressed plug cap it would invalidate the guarantee he gave.

Of course sods law now decrees the damn bike now won't start tomorrow

I enjoyed reading your description of life with a BSA. I fully understand and sometimes wonder myself why I persevere. To make my life easier, I have fitted a fuel level indicator. At least it eliminates one potential issue. Since having my mag rewound I have sorted out most issues. If the fuel level is wrong, I don't even try to kick it. If it is right, it starts first or second time.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

I always have my mags reconditioned when I rebuild a bike or buy one and am unsure of when the mag was last overhauled.

I generally fit new carburettors and keep the rest of the bike 'up to scratch' and have no real problems...

There are plenty of forum members who can confirm that over the last 15-20 years at multiple 'military' events and on many Normandy tours my bikes always start and don't break down...

It is a 'false economy' to try and run worn out equipment..it will always cause problems at some point...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1