Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pennant Chain Rivet Extractor

The BSA WM20 tool kit includes one of these useful little tools, but like so many other things this tool was almost certainly made in large numbers pre and post war, so I thought I would start a thread on the subject to see if any conclusions can be made as to what constitutes wartime manufacture.

So if you are offended by rivet counting please look away now.

I have several of these but the two shown below cover all the differences I have spotted so far.

Version one, Just the Pennant trade mark on the rear. The tommy bar is missing on this one but I suspect that is accidental.

Version two, Under the Pennant trade mark on the back a list of patent numbers and on the front "Made in England" across the top.

Version three, as two but with the addition on "N0-167" on the front.

Mk5 No. 167 is mentioned in the January 1944 dated spare parts list for the RAF BSA M20 combination.

I know Norton's used a different type of chain rivet extractor but does anyone know if any other makes in WD service used the Pennant?

Do any of you have any other variants of the Pennant?

All thoughts welcome.

Rob

photo pen1_zpsgw7vjwox.jpg

photo pen2_zpsc99bcgym.jpg

photo pen3_zpsaylggi0y.jpg

photo pen4_zpsapevkljr.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Pennant Chain Rivet Extractor

Rob, I've never had to look at these but eBay sellers are fond of saying they were used by BSA and Velocette.

The 1927 patent 280143 is viewable online.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=GB&NR=280143

....which doesn't help much in your quest, unless there are some later patents or registered designs reflecting improvements.

email (option): 79x100(at)gmail.com

here is one of mine Rob. certainly WD but post war.
pennant photo pennant_zpso8oh7xqf.jpg

Mine is the same as your top one Rob, but without any numbers stamped on it. I also have 2 without the levers that have the same Pennant stamp as your bottom one and the numbers PAT No 186726 REG No 683820 on the other side.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks chaps.

Clive that's very nice and brings up another question, when did they start dating them?

Rob

There is a nice "DD" Australian Defence Department one on this website, I wonder if "DIECUT" id a company that made them under licence down under?

Rob

http://www.ozwrenches.com/vintage-military.htm#mystery

Hey Rob,

I love the rivet counting! It keeps us on an even keel as far as historical accuracy.

No doubt there is considerable "wiggle" room with many items between the Military purposed items and civilian items.

All the best to you in your quest.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1