Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nice tank from Highland Division

My dad returned from Belgium Ciney with this nice cut-off tank, we already removed the most of the big dent in the side but it will need some more attention.

photo SAM_3605_zpsv0txtewp.jpg
 photo SAM_3606_zps4mhwa10d.jpg

Notice the nice fond style of the '47' !

Cheers, Michiel / NL

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Re: Nice tank from Highland Division

No wonder people said that "HD" stood for Highway Decorators!

email (option): Fergusanckorn@icloud.com

A very artistic bit of sign writing. I like it! I think that is a 'Light Anti Aircraft Regt'

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

so nice,

email (option): warbiks at gee male dot comm, you will need to work this one out

I can picture a sign-writer with a handlebar moustache !

If you saw that on a restoration, the reaction would be 'No Way !'...You're not thinking of, are you, Ron ?

Quite remarkable that there was that degree of artistic interpretation, so late in the in the war, by which time transfers and stencils were becoming common.

What's the style ? "Gaelic Gothic" ?

photo 001_zpsa9f98236.jpg

photo War_photos_0161_zps80b84a0b.jpg

I bet my grandfather would have recognised this bike and the markings.........

His original (Canadian)..."Best" BD Blouse that we still have in the family........

He was transferred to the 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, 51st HD Division in July 1944 after landing on D-Day in the early hours on "Queen Red" (Sword) beach as part of the Beach Group.......he survived the war and was discharged as a Sgt in Germany in 1946..........he fought all the way from the D-Day beaches, through Belgium and Holland, Op Veritable (the battle of the Reichswald) in 1944-45 and the crossed the Rhine into Germany..............this was all years later after surviving Dunkirk and the BEF with the Bucks Battalion of the Ox & Bucks LI 1939-40...........

Build a bike around the authentic petrol tank, not exactly factory fresh but hope you like it.

photo IMG_2038_zpssjdwznke.jpg

photo IMG_2040_zpsalalgj5q.jpg

Cheers

You bet Michiel! You are an artist!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

very nice, well done old bean, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1