Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First run...

TRW photo DSC00649.jpg

I took the TRW for its first run out today...It's like a smoother version of the M20 and is a 'doddle' to start......

It seems pretty happy bumbling around the Devon roads at about 45-50mph...However, I'm pretty sure it could manage slightly taller gearing so that will have to be looked at...

The ride comfort, as expected, is far better with the tele forks rather than the M20s girder forks...

I should think the chaps who got issued with one of these would have been happy enough...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: First run...

Ian,

She is beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing,

Brian

email (option): bbrown3407@charter.net

Nice Machine!

Beautiful machine ! Some details come back later with the 1966 Dutch Army 3TA.
You could wade through water up to the headlight, thanks to the Solex carb
But getting the wiring correctly under the nacelle was a nightmare

photo 3TA 2004 3_zpsqlbxba61.jpg

photo 3TA 2004 1_zps5enkyzrf.jpg

Very nice Ian !
Enjoy!

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi Ian
That sir, looks a beauty.
Well done indeed, another brought back to life and I look forward to seeing it in the future
Darren.

Hi Darren...I can't take any credit for the bike which was rebuilt at least 12 years ago..

It was just the 'first ride' in my ownership as I bought the bike as it stands last weekend...

As is usually the case it looks a bit better than it actually is in the photograph but it should serve its purpose well as daily transport, along with my 1951 B33...

It's a relatively early MK1 TRW from 1951 and has the BTH magneto, alternator and light switch, also fitted to the MK2, rather than the Lucas coil ignition set up and equipment of the Mk2B and Mk3 versions...Ian

I am strangely attracted! Something is not right! I must be going soft in my old age Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Painted rims & a spring wheel give a very nice look

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The sprung hub will be going once I get the correct back wheel to replace it...

Before that though I have to sort out a few other problems...Another ride today added to the list of jobs to do..Hot starting isn't brilliant and that won't do at all.....

It could be the mag but I suspect the Solex carb to a degree as well...I'll probably go through that first to see if it solves the problem...

Anyone got a BTH K2C S4 mag lying around?...

All par for the course with a bike that I've bought rather than built...I'll soon have it sorted though...Ian

Hi Ian,

Yeh, I think that I saw the bike at the Haworth event, probably didn't give it a second glanse , as it wasn't a Bezza Nice bike never the less.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Very nice Ian, my mate has done his in RAF colour as it's what he used to ride when he was an RAF MP dog handler. I don't know where the dog sat

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I was having real problems starting when hot..Naturally a 'dicky' mag was a possibility but I wasn't too happy about the original fitment Solex either...

I decided to change the carb and fitted a 'Wassells' Concentric for which I 'guesstimated' the settings, jet sizes etc..

That didn't turn out to be entirely straight forward as I had to machine up a manifold to fit between the carb and barrel to prevent the bottom of the carb contacting the mag and preventing fitment..

Anyway, I got it all on and with only some minor adjustments to the settings the bike is now running better and starting OK when hot...

I've fitted a few of these Wassells carbs and have found them trouble free as well as being very reasonably priced...

Below is a picture of the carb in place with its manifold...

I can now get a rebuild kit for the Solex and fiddle with that at my leisure...

photo DSC00650.jpg

Having sorted that I've now got the front wheel off to replace the vintage tyre and probably equally vintage inner tube that was fitted, and to replace the brake shoes...

The tyre was an AVON 'Speedster' remould complete with cracked sidewalls..

God knows when that was produced (I can't recall ever seeing another) but it's finally come to the end of its working life now as it's not something I fancy trusting my well being to..... ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1