Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early war impressed bikes

I have an 40/26 AJS 350 single twin port instrument's in tank, in civil trim with very little chrome ,black painted wheels etc., the engine is drilled for the WD plate found on impressed bikes, Are there any photos of similar bikes in use by the navy, as I want to mark up the tank in navy markings so my daughter can ride it as a Wren. I know there are no register of navy markings I.e. C numbers, so thinking of a four or five digit random number with RN in front or behind Thinking of keeping the tank gloss black, or could spray matt brown or green leaving the rest of the bike as is, your thoughts folks

email (option): warbikes at gee male dot cmm, (think about this)

Re: Early war impressed bikes

Anything from that period could have been impressed...It's generally impossible to find out the history of such machines and a fruitless exercise to speculate without facts...

I think in this case 'artistic license' is the order of the day.

You'd just as well do it as you want it, but don't make rash claims once it's done.. ...

I'm not a fan of 'impressed' machines personally as an owner of virtually any machine from the period can claim that status...

But maybe I'm being too pedantic...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I do have the brown logbook issued 1946,stamped Ex govt, ministry of supply ruddington notts, but of course it could have been used to carry post from the minstry of xyz nobody will ever know, andrew

email (option): warbikesAT GEE Male .com(think about this)

Andrew, if you look in O&M P153 of the new edition. There is a row of impressed Triumph 3SW's and some contract C12's with WRENS. Also this picture of a Triumph (Speedtwin I think). It looks like they did absolutely nothing with the impressed bikes. Just left them in civy trim. But as Ian indicated..... Artistic licence prevails. Ron
 photo BSA C10_zps48yhsxum.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Andrew, the 1939 and 1940 AJS parts lists list all the frame and engine numbers of both the impressed bikes and those supplied under contract to the War Office. O&M is incorrect in the case of AJS machines and there were a considerable number supplied under contract to the War Office. I have a list of all numbers if you would like to give me the frame number of your bike. I can also send you a photo of my impressed Model 26 if you would like. Cheers John Tinley

I have that list also. But it doesn't specify any supplied to the admiralty. Ron

photo AJ_zpsbn58pwwk.jpg

Thanks John that' greats , the frame no is X 2619,engine no is 40/26 9064, there is a hand book on the Danish AJS Jampot club website that refers to impressed AJS 40/26 bikes the reg is a northern Ireland number two digits and four figures and matches the reg in the old log book a photo of your 40/26 would be good, As Ron reminded me and I did look in the O and M Later edition to read up upon impressed bikes and saw the RN markings but if I can link to a contract the would be interesting, Andrew

Andrew your engine is in the spares list for AJS impressed bikes. But I can't find your frame. Nearest number is 2616 which is a model 40/26L. 'L' indicates fitted with 1939 forks. Your engine should have a twin port head. There is no contract number for these bikes. As John says, there are more of these 1940 impressed AJ's than you would think. I make it 1088. Plus a few in 1939.
Here is a Model 40/16M single port that belonged to a friend of mine. Both frame and engine are in the list and the C number was stamped on the drive side engine case. In fact he's had three such bikes through his workshop and all with a certain amount of 'artistic licence'. Ron
 photo AJS 002_zpsfz1kig2v.jpg

Andrew, I have looked at the 1940 parts list which gives a list of all engine and frame numbers. I can tell you that engine 40/26 9064 is specifically mentioned. However, when it comes to the frame number it does not appear in the list. The nearest 40/26 frame number I can find is 2644. The nearest number of any model I can find is 2616 which was allocated to a 40/26L. The 26L was listed as being fitted with 1939 type forks. The parts list refers to a number of 1939 models being supplied and the highest number listed is 2593 which is only 26 away from your bike, so perhaps your bike is a 39 model. The factory always launched the new year models in September each year so the 1940 models would have started production in September 1939. All I can conclude is that perhaps your bike got missed off the list some how. I will be interested to see what others think. Cheers John

SNAP! John

Ron

Thanks RON AND JOHN, Will look on the drive side today, and see if there are any other stamps on the engine, it is a twin port head interesting the engine is a spare, time to post some pics methinks unsucessfull at posting pics so will send to you Ron,Andrew

Your engine is not a spare Andrew. It's just looks like it's not in the frame it was fitted to in 1940.. Anything could have happened over the last 75 years. Ron

Ron,John looks like a 1938 frame with a 1940 engine,andrew

OK. John will know I'm sure. I have nothing else on AJ's apart from these impressed bikes. There seems to have been only one of these ordered under a WO contract (strange that they bothered?) And just a another five, 500cc SV's.
At least some of these impressed bikes were painted in 'service colour' including the famous 'GIANT' sergeants bike. Ron
 photo img456_zpswbvlttcf.jpg

No numbers on drive side of engine apart from some batch numbers (three figures)as out at Tenterden railway (war on the line)
tomorrow, unlikely to take pics till later this week Am looking for a toolbox for the AJS by the way

Nieuwe pagina 1