The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NEWARK AUTOJUMBLE

NigP

Yes i am aware of the Henry Cole 'attempt' - unfortunetly i've never heard such BS in my life - it blew up on its first real run and has never been heard of since....

Yes he did seize it up on the first test run, he was told to take it easy but didn't listen. However the bloke rebuild the engine with a bit more clearance and they did the record attempt and beat it. They showed the event on TV and I guess that record still stands at that event, so not sure why you think it's BS..? Henry Cole owns that bike and it's sat in his garage with all his others. No he probably won't use it again.

The bloke from Cornwall who built the engine seemed to know his stuff, can't remember his name now though.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

John, can you let me have Pascals contact number please on please.

email (option): ginantonik@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Nigel

Pascal speaks little English so I managed to contact him over the weekend for you

It was not him at Newark

So for now, it's a mystery -,maybe stafford show will reveal more

I'll look out for you

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Dave

Hope all is good with you

Henry Coles programs on TV are very much subject to intense critical review by those of us with an interest or in depth knowledge of Oldtimers

Putting that aside, my opinion is that anything that projects old bikes & the great hobby it is on TV - can only be a good thing

Next weekend is Stafford Bike show, an event I have travelled to from Ireland ( when living there) since it was based at Belle Vue - it's possibly the greatest event of its type in Europe but if we look about - it's full of blokes 50 + & does nothing really to attract committed younger enthusiasts both male or female.
I must somehow calculate the average age of visitors - such rivet counting !

Without TV programs as such ( despite their journalistic inaccuracies or fluffy text) we need this & more from the print media to encourage younger riders to share their passion for plastic rockets & Oldtimers at same time

There are exceptions, down my way - John Tinley has actively encouraged his son Joe & his pals to ride & maintain WD bikes provided - in France over the last few years they have been among the few who have looked like genuine WD riders, early 20's and like stick insects in build compared to us older lads. In netherlands there appears to be a number of younger riders & enthusiasts with many attracted to the living history side of things

As custodians of these machines for the future, the knowledge & information required for them - I wonder who will be these future custodians - will there be many at all ?
maybe I will be pleasantly surprised at Stafford this year with hoards of younger folk wanting to buy old rides or parts to fix them

Just my thoughts on a Monday folks

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I agree John, you're not the only one who's noticed the average age at these shows. It was even the same at Daytona Bike week, grey hair and fat bellies, it made me look a bit healthy and young

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks guys - I hope I find the guy at Stafford.

RE Henry C - nothing against him and what he does for m/cycling, but unfortunately I think we have all winced at odd comments about various rebuilds/finds and even his inability to start a 250 Husky.
I know only too well how contrived these program are.

Regarding whatever record he broke, I cannot find anything and anyway his non standard frame (metises) would put him in different class than I am considering.

For myself, nothing will happen until I have a complete spare engine to play with (Stafford), I sort myself a crank and get the whole lot to do +80 down the M180 - that is a standard s++t brown WD 3HW
Though, to conform to regs I do have to fit a working steering damper (hydraulic off the H2 Kawasaki) and ball ended levers, etc.
All assuming the record isn't broken this August, I need to get it ready for shipment by this time next year

I've been attending jumbles for decades and for the entire time people have been saying it's full of old blokes and the whole scene will die out...

Funny thing is the old blokes from those days have died out...but it's still going along nicely...

The fact is when your in your teens/20s you tear ass about on whatever you can afford...

As you get older and develop a more nuanced attitude to bikes an interest in something older or something you can actually get involved with comes into play....Then you get involved.

Personally I never expect to see 'the scene' full of young people, although there are some...Rather, I hope that there is a continuing supply of older people who get interested...

If anything is likely to change it's a shift from British to Japanese and foreign machines...the ones the following generations started out on....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

IAN - exactly.

There is a drift towards 'newer' bikes as years go on.

Recently have been wondering who will buy the pre-war bikes our group seem to be buying as 'investments' (the secret to any investment is what you pay for it!).

I think there will always be a market for pre1930 and prewar/girder bikes and any V twin.
The '50/60's grey porridge and +70's Japanese stuff do seem to be very hard to sell - particularly @ Ebay prices.

Probably the biggest tell-tale is the circuit racing scene, which has pretty much collapsed for Vintage/Classic/FRE racing - as values/costs have increased.

Recently am involved in the 'vintage' (pre '89) Enduro scene (Vinduro) - a growing and very interesting sport 3 years ago, cheap and fun - as bike prices increase and ages stops/slows some of the older riders, its already past its peak and interest is falling off.

There is a generation coming through with no interest whatsoever in anything mechanical, not even bothered about cars in general - a very few interested in 'drifters' whatever that supposed to be about and that's based on a computer game.

Guess I'm now an old twat where everything was better (rickets) years ago ......
The thing to remember is that it was our generation than designed and made all these bloody electronic products, interweb, etc ......... (it was either that or hoops and sticks)

Nieuwe pagina 1