Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To thick clutch plates?

Aloha,

Finally got around to do some work on my -47 M21 over The Easter hollidays (I currently live in a different city than my bikes).
When I assembled the clutch with new plates it turned out to be what I think is to thick. Click on link below for picture and you shall se that it builds higher than the clatch basket. Can I solve this by just skippoing one round of plates?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/16584233563/

/s

Re: To thick clutch plates?

Simon the standards book gives the clutch Ferodo rings at 3/32" which in your language is 2.38mm. After market rings can be too thick, but yours look extremely thick?

Even with standard thickness friction rings, I run both my M21 engine and my Indian powered BSA with one friction and one steel plate removed. A much lighter clutch with more room for separation and therefore no drag.....and no slip either!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron

Have you altered the clutch pushrod length to compensate - shortened it

or are you still with a std length rod

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John, I fitted new silver steel push rods that Ian gave me and I think I must have a adjusted the lengths accordingly before I hardened and tempered the ends. Ron.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, I make the clutch pushrod to suit each individual bike/clutch set up.

This takes account of any discrepancies, not only in the clutch plate pile but any other components......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

How thick are the clutch plates by the way?...

Removing one steel and one fibre plate if you have pattern fibre plates that are too thick will not create any more room for clutch plate separation or produce a lighter action...

It will only restore the clutch plate pile to nearer the correct (original) height resulting in the same amount of 'free space' that a standard clutch has...

As pointed out by Ron in his post, the 'dodge' to create more clearance than standard only works if you have the correct plates... Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I had the same trouble with my 16H, with all the plates fitted the end cover was way past the clutch drum, so I used a mixture of old and new plates until I could fit it in correctly.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you all for great input!

I think I actually have a number of clutch push rods of various length in my box of gear box components. I sure I will find one that fits or can be made to fit.

I bought the plates from Peters classic bikes I think, mind you I'm saying think so not quite sure. Many parts have been bought over the last years (and I will never ever add it all up to see how much I spent! )

I also have some old friction plates but they are completely shot and not usable, I also have some metal plates with a tint of blue in the metal...

Always a pleasure getting good advice from you all here! I will be going to see my bike again i june and try and get back to you then on how it all worked out. Unfortunately my bikes and I are for the time being on different sides of Sweden.

/s

Nieuwe pagina 1