Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M21 1954 Cush drive ?

Me again :>)

On my rebuild the cush drive parts don't seem compatible .

The 4 lobe bearing sleeve which slides onto the crankshaft, part No =65-2523 (i think ).
On mine the internal splines are approx 1/8th" wide ,the mating crankshaft splines have a 1/4" spacing which leaves approx 1/8th" play when fitted ,got to be the wrong part hasn't it ?.

Re: M21 1954 Cush drive ?

Hi Chilly...If the splines on the crank are wider than the internal splines in the sleeve then you do have the wrong part...I'm not sure which part you have though ....

The problem is many BSA models had this type of sock absorber over a period of a few decades and there are a number of different versions...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian
Having looked at some on e-ebay it looks as if its definitely the wrong part , so thats another part required

Here are a few examples of what Ian described:

photo IMG_2171.jpg

photo c7f3e7aa-b8dd-4f20-963e-e304e0c7e5e3.jpg

Jeff Bandola

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Thanks Jeff
I think it'll be the middle one i need , thats an update on mine as it needs a separate spacer between crankshaft bearing and cush drive part , its the internal splines that are the problem with mine.

Hi Chilly...You can use the middle one without a spacer or the right hand one with a spacer...

I have the right hand type spare but I don't have any spacers...You will probably get one from Draganfly however....

If not I can give you the dimensions for it if you have access to a lathe...

E mail me if you want the sleeve...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Ian

You have mail

Cheers
Chilly

Hello again Ian
You have mail ref inlet manifold ;>)

Chilly

That photo and measurements explain something that was puzzling me. My original road engine which is currently still in the salt bike has the middle cush drive, I’d noticed how snug this was to the casing, there is clearance but not much. I have another engine I’m putting into the road bike, which came with the right hand cush drive but no spacer. I lined up the clutch and sprocket to see the size of the spacer, and was surprised that the cush drive inner face was quite a distance from the case face. The clutch is a single spring which I’ve modified to have a sealed bearing, after it got some damage so at first I’d thought I’d messed up the alignment of the bearing and clutch wheel. I checked the parts book to see the spacer is stated as 0.320 - 0.325. and that did align with roughly where the cush drive aligned. I couldn’t be bothered to pull the other drive apart to compare as I’m working during lockdown in my basement parking space so just too much hassle (for a lazy person!) but it’s clear from the photo that the lip on the cush drive is much thinner on the right hand version, so I’m feeling happier with the measurements. I’m now part way through slowly making the spacer from an old drive side outer bearing inner race, all done with a Dremmel (Ozito clone actually) on the parking bay floor, I’m about halfway through slicing the bearing inner to approximately the right width before a long slow job of finishing the cut face. If I’d access to the Kustom Kommune workshop I’m a member of this would have been done far quicker, but we’re at least another month before that will happen!

email (option): dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1