Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: James ML points assembly...

Ron Pier
Yep! Ron

photo ML018_zps2e71148b.jpg

I have just being looking for for some 350 villiers parts, for one i have just sold, and came across the same points plate as Ron has here, its not as clean as Ron's for it up for a swap if any one wants it..
cheers curt.

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

Ian, post-war Villiers went through at least three points assembly changes, although all units are interchangeable with the engine unit !!! This was in the late-1940s......

The unit shown illustrates the wartime assembly with brass, spanner-adjusted points.............these are unreliable and prone to earthing problems...............

Post-war Villiers introduced a revised points assembly (with a Mazak points box instead of brass) and then a year or so later a better one that incorporated a screw-cam for points adjustment that negated the need for spanners to adjust the points.............all advice would point to fitting the latter as far easier to adjust................points arms, condensors, etc, are all interchangeable however...........my own ML has the latter fitted...........

Key with any Villiers points assemblies is a NOS condensor........many on Ebay but buy from Villiers Services as made to proper specs...............also, ignition coil....again, buy a good uprated one from Villiers Services as this will produce a decent blue spark rather than that from a dodgy coil...........you CAN use any ;points assemblies but I would still recommend the later applications as far easier to adjust/maintain..............desperate cases contact me as I have a few spare assemblies..............correct earthing however, is key with all and time well-spent...........

Post-war ML's have a number above the gearbox..........not a feature of wartime ML's...........although internally, they do not differ a lot..............

Thanks for that extra detail Steve...it appears this may be the later points assembly with the mazac housing and cam adjustment of the points...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, further info on those post-war Villiers points assemblies......

photo 001_zpsd1cbd3b5.jpg
 photo 002_zpsc099ce9e.jpg
 photo 003_zps2bd840d7.jpg
 photo 004_zpsa8bf04b0.jpg

Hope this assists........

Nieuwe pagina 1