Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
whats this one then

ww2 photo _57-1.jpg

email (option): garypitt@talktalk.net

Re: whats this one then

Hi Gary

Its an old photo I'm trying to sell on Ebay.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Gary, If that is 22nd Bn. The London Regiment (Queen's) as it looks like from the markings on the petrol tank then they changed back in December 1936 to become 6th (TA) Bn. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey)if that helps with the date. This battalion won the London Territorial Transport cup several times in the early 1930's but that was with horses. Ian

email (option): ian_chatfield@hotmail.com

And the bike is an Ariel W/NG. I can only make out the first digit '4' of the C number.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

22 LON on a grey Diamond is the marking of the 22nd County of London (Royal Arsenal) Battalion (Woolwich) Home Guard.

The C number looks like C46939..

I posted it on here some years ago but it looks like its dropped of the end of the forum, but its still in my photobucket.

Rob

London Home Guard Ariel WNG photo HGArielWNG.jpg

Are these Ariel's on this rather dark picture at the Enfield at war website?

https://enfieldatwar.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-855

https://enfieldatwar.wordpress.com/

The first three certainly are, followed by a civilian Matchless and two civvy bikes that I can't identify.

It's interesting that the rather competent W/NG should have ended up with the Home Guard. They seem to have been used in Italy a lot but in NW Europe were fairly uncommon except with the RAF. Presumably just logistics and servicing that restricted the British Army mainly to WM20s and G3ls.

ariels photo ariel_zps0tttwydr.jpg

Thanks Ian that's much clearer.

Its interesting that this Home Guard unit has three WD machines as I read somewhere they were only issued two per Home Guard Battalion?

Rob

Nieuwe pagina 1