Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My latest acquisition

Ron sunny here, just off to a late start in workshop till prised out to go and look at turner gallery this pm Am going to look at some spare front forks I have for enfields, I certainly have a couple of RE C frames and some other stuff, take care on your ride , Enjoy

email (option): warbikes at gee male .com,( think about this)

Me Tim and Tony had a fabulous run over the Purbecks and into Swanage for brekkie. Back via the Studland chain ferry. The bike rides great feels sturdier and definitely pulls better than my CO........But!! I think the mag is weak as I can't start the sodding thing if I stop it. So the mag is already off and I'm taking it to my guy in the New Forest on Wednesday.

Rik I agree the bike would be more sportier without the bags. But I think I've heard you say "avoid the flashy use of the throttle"

Good job I had my tool kit with me in the panniers! The only way I could re-start the bike in Swanage, was with a brand new plug fitted.

D'you know, some people with sporty bikes have to try and strap stuff to the carrier and risk losing it along the country lanes at Etreham

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, that was below the belt. I couldn't say anything at the time as it was all hush-hush ministry stuff and might have jeopardised operations in Normandy. I was engaged in balistic and impact tests on the Mk1* helmet.

The test that you witnessed involved acceleration, deceleration and finally dropping the blasted thing onto the gravel !

Rik. I do love the banter. Ron

Hello
This will be a bit off topic, but how does this compare to a post war J2.
I recently obtained one and apart from the tele forks looks very similar.
The reason I am asking is that I am looking for a full set of control cables, a kick start spring and a rear guard.
Is the gearbox the same other than the neutral selector, I know motor parts are different.
Thanks Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Nice addition Ron!!

Rik
Ron, that was below the belt. I couldn't say anything at the time as it was all hush-hush ministry stuff and might have jeopardised operations in Normandy. I was engaged in balistic and impact tests on the Mk1* helmet.

The test that you witnessed involved acceleration, deceleration and finally dropping the blasted thing onto the gravel !

Rik, have been doing some balistic tests on a US WW2 helmet with my Enfield too, but in a slightly different way!!

So not off topic???

Enfield is almost a hundred years old.....

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike43@gmaXX.com

Darren C
Hello
This will be a bit off topic, but how does this compare to a post war J2.
I recently obtained one and apart from the tele forks looks very similar.
The reason I am asking is that I am looking for a full set of control cables, a kick start spring and a rear guard.
Is the gearbox the same other than the neutral selector, I know motor parts are different.
Thanks Darren

Darren the J2 is a 500cc. Most of the parts you required should be obtainable from Hitchcock's.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/347/1949_500_Model_J2

Ron

Chrome headlight rim. Sure sticks out like a sore thumb.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Yes Robb. One of quite a few things for correction. I also don't like the modern fuel taps and rubber hoses that are currently fitted. The RE taps are quite unique and I have some of those and I'm hoping that a CO pipe will fit. Ron

I've got a nice WB30 engine that would fit in that...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes Ian. this bike is from that same contract. Only two bikes shown in O&M. But an additional 52 bikes in that contract were supplied to the admiralty.....Just post that engine to me anyway Ron

The bike is going back together with corrected front wheel and it's original (repaired) front guard. Rebuilt mag, rebore, dome top piston. New shoes, tyre, cush rubbers on the rear wheel, adapted field stand, correct horn and air filter box, new cables......KG3 paint. Ron

photo WDL-G069_zps45ec33bd.jpg
 photo WDL-G067_zpse003d18d.jpg

Looks good Ron, very nice.
I see the speedo drive is really inside the hub here ? (new to me)

I don't know how you do these bikes so quickly Ron, but then your days are twice as long as mine
A fantastic looking bike as always

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes, Ron does like to get down to the workshop before the moon starts to set... ....

It's not natural getting up when it's still dark...Ian

I'm looking forward to seeing it with the tank back on. I still think it's a shame about the panniers though...

Are we going to be seeing you togged-up like a matelot for Normandy 75th then, Ron ?

Rik I was thinking of looking for a sailors hat to go with the bike, but that's probably as far as I'd go. I know what you mean about the panniers, but I intend to use this bike and the panniers are a necessity for me to carry my tools, wet weather gear, baguette, beer and tarte aux fraises.

Rather than strap a suitcase to the carrier. Ron

photo 408_zps10ab7961.jpg

A sailor's cap would go rather nicely with BD Ron, but be prepared for the banter !

I'm in a similar position to you......can play with bikes all day long if I want to.......

Can I just compliment you on a cracking restoration of a fairly rare machine.......it looks bloody good.........

You got a spare WB30 engine then Ian.......?

A Duffle coat and a mug of Cocoa would seem to be essentials...and you'll need a battleship to move the bike around...

Yes Steve, I have enough parts to build another B30 engine...I sold my spare gearbox though...Ian

I may be interested Ian old chap......... (IF up for sale at some stage !)

Michael

I see the speedo drive is really inside the hub here ? (new to me)

Yes Michael. Seems to be a pre war Royal Enfield thing, and with the Anti clock rotation for the speedo. Ron

A cracking restoration Ron....am I right in thinking that you now only need either a Bullet or a J2(0) to complete your wartime Enfield collective.........?

Best wishes for the season my old friend.......love from Vee !

Never heard of a WD Bullet Steve But yes a J2 and one of those V twin KX models ... Fat chance aye! Was it just 6 J2's and 4 KX's supplied to the services?

Believe it or not, I have one of the Experimental 350 (DC) engines coming from Australia. Just need to find enough bits to build a replica of one of these

Ron

photo 430_zps5d5a7332.jpg

Merry Christmas.....Did you buy Vee a Tilly?

Nice one Ron ! I'd be keen to see details of that engine when it arrives.........

No Tilly yet, as Vee's holding out on you turning one up for her ! You've still got a few hours !!!!!

Hugely interesting photo though Ron........1940 I believe and tested alongside a 250cc Matchless, 350cc Norton and possibly the 350cc B30 and Triumph 3TW...........

Seems based on a 250cc Sidevalve Model D, uprated to 350cc.........is that an alloy head and barrel too ? Forks look to be Model C, handlebars early, saddle a rubber Dunlop type, mudguards and stays all cut down and thinner metal, not sure about the magneto nor dynamo but the headlight looks early of a DC current type.........centre stand too, and that oil-tank (the D had a separate oil tank unlike the C) seems combined with the air-cleaner on account of the carb intake entering it.........

Can I also see a battery fitted and a fully-enclosed rear chainguard ?

Steve you are quite correct on most of your observations. Frame is Model D with C forks and wheels and rubber mounted bars. Rear chain guard just has a drop down back portion (bit like a G3). There is an alternator (I guess) on top of the mag for direct lighting, and a tool box where the battery should be.

I've learnt quite a lot about these in the last couple of weeks (mainly with the help of Jan and studying the pictures with a spy glass). My best hope is to study and rebuild what I have of the engine with some spares already located.

I also have some of the other parts pencilled in from various sources. So if anyone knows of any dead or dying models D and C (forks especially), please let me know. Ron

An interesting machine...and another one of the 'lightweights' that doesn't look like it would be up to service use...

It does seem to have the mag/alternator as fitted to pre production WB30s...Do you know how many of these were built?....Just the one?

I'd love to do the 'lightweight' M20 which I suspect was an M20 engine in a WB30 chassis....or the SWD M21.. probably built along the lines to the Big 4...

Unfortunately no photos exist of either machine...I've even looked in the patent records for details of the SWD M21...

With no photos at all it wouldn't be a 'replica', only a guess, so neither project is really viable I don't think.. ....Ian

Ian. Four of these are recorded in the ledgers. Two with their engine numbers that were sent for assessment by M.E.E. And two more with no recorded engine numbers but issued with census numbers, which were sent to France for testing with the BEF, which were of course lost. How on Earth this engine arrived in Tasmania to act as a pump for an air compressor we'll never know Ron

Captured after Dunkirk..taken to North Africa by the Germans..'liberated' by an Ozzie and shipped home....

Garys field kitchen was bought by the Austrians (from the Swiss) at the start of the WW1...
Was captured by the Italians...

Taken by them to North Africa in WW2...

Captured by the Brits, converted from Horse drawn to vehicle towed and then shipped back to the UK before finally being sold off at auction...

So it can happen!... ....Ian

Knowing Royal Enfield, it was abandoned by the BEF, impressed by Vichy France,taken over by the Wehrmacht, picked up by a 21st Army Group battlefield Salvage unit, sent back to Britain as scrap metal, demanded by Enfield as war compensation and then re-sold to a far-flung post of Empire as 'brand new' during the 'Export or Die' period....Thank goodness for gullible colonials, or much of this history would be lost to us !

Nieuwe pagina 1