Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Romac Forum Picture

Well Henk, you certainly made my day here (not)

Just when I thought I had it all, I see that I'm missing the little cord and seal around the tin!!

The first to be thrown away, so finding a NOS one will be next to impossible??

Here some more tyre accesories;

Honly joking Henk!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbxxx.net

Re: Romac Forum Picture

This is how I bought my tin.

My tin has "EXISTING CONDITIONS MAY ALTER PRICE AND CONTENTS" on the side of the tin. Could they mean war time conditions with that?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Mine's got it as well Henk! is that advert you placed dated? Has anyone noticed these tins also have a slot in the lid and on the bottom seams for the sealing string to stay in its place? mine also has a small container with french chalk in it. could it be from another set? anyone has hot a spare wire brush for sale? i still have a full set of patches; No1, 2, 3, 4 and a large piece from which to cut other sizes. it also came with a rubber solution tube not tin.....it makes a lot of sense these sets with the 'existing conditions' warning are wartime especially since unlike Lex's and the advert one they have no price printed on them.

photo chalk.jpg

photo glue.jpg

email (option): csbajkuBUMBUMgmail.com

Clive, I have a couple too;

But they came from the round Romac tins on ebay a while ago, that are dated 1947;

I bought some as they were very cheap.

Now another question, I have a couple pairs of scissors, and on one the "Made in England" is in line with the blade, but another it's at 90 degrees??

Sorry folks, serious rivet counter territory here, but if you have all other stuff, you'll have to collect something!

Cheers,

Lex

ps, Clive may have a Dunlop wire brush spare.
pps, isn't half a crown the price??
ppps, Yes I saw the identation for the cord, nice detail!

Hi Clive,

The part I have isn't dated and I only have it digitally, not sure where I got it from.

Henk

Henk, before you change the picture again, I'll post it here too;

Haven't found the Dunlop brushes yet, but will keep looking!

Lex

Here are mine

Supposedly the correct wartime tin is the tall D shaped tin with black lettering, mine also has "Existing conditions may alter price and contents" on the side..

Lex your tin shown in the first picture has some red in the top scroll, what period is that one? could it be pre war?

My round red painted tin is dated 1949.

Not sure what period my round 2s6d tin is but it could be a civilian version of the post war plain or red tin.

My short D shaped tin is made from unused tall D shaped tin material so I assume it is late war or post war.

Rob

photo Image1_zps5a639380.jpg

photo Image3_zps56956cf8.jpg

photo Image4_zps30fce38c.jpg

photo Image5_zpsb7e6b25d.jpg

photo Image6_zps0f35bc2a.jpg

photo Image7_zps1b8ee3da.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

photo romac3_zpsb95e4e01.jpg

Great stuff Rob! you can see on your scissors the "made in Britain" texts. the sharp pointed scissors are the earlier ones I found out.

Mine must be pre-war then, with the red linings on it, nice!!!!

Cheers,

Lex

Sorry, just looked, my round WD tin is also 1949, not 1947 as stated earlier.

Lex

Blimey, you lot need to get out more......?

I think this thread's great. The tins are nice but I never thought that I'd see a discussion on pairs of scissors. I'd say that the rounded end type were introduced so that old motorcycle obsessives can't injure each other in their padded cells !

Or join the AA! Good fun collecting all the ephemera that goes with a bike though eh!

With my '78 bonnie, I've got 2 original speeding tickets, a right boot where the instep has worn out through kickstarting, and left one from the same pair, which will never leak water because the oil leak from the primary has made it totally waterproof. In my leather jacket, I've also got a Ticket stub from ZZ Top's tour, in 1983.

All tongue in cheek chaps, I really do love the completeness. Here speaks the bloke who bought a rate of climb gauge for a 1942 USAF Mustang for a fiver at an auction the other day. Now all I need is the rest of it!

email (option): oldjunk@btinternet.com

i'm loving this discussion! i have a model D52 kit made from a recycled tin of ministry of food National baby milk powder. this kit has a price label stuck on it (1s9d). it seems that this one may be pre-war although i have always assumed otherwise. the style of printing is in the style of the advert below. this advert supposedly dates from 1939.i have also tried to find a date for the National tin but on the web i found they were produced from 1939 to the 1950s so its not very helpful.

photo IMG_0279_zpsb6fbfd6c.jpg

photo 628px-Im193905MO-Rom_zps60aaacef.jpg

it is also very strange that i have an advert that is supposedly dated 1949 in which the romac logo seems to be like the half a crown model. i think this logo was used well into the 60s. maybe Romac changed thir logo in the middle of the war? did they have time for that? what else could 'the existing conditions' be if not a war? what is so strange is that Henk's picture of a packed wartime M20 toolkit shows a romac kit with the oval logo and the 'warnings' (so unassumingly contents on the other side) and not the 'existing conditions type!

photo 003_zps38d405b6.jpg

Rob, is you 'short' one a Shilling model? it apparently used to be ribbon sealed as well. all the D52s I've seen so far didn't. i agree with you Lex that the pointed scissors are earlier but how earlier? pre-war or wartime with the rounded ones being post war?

1949 advert below

photo 470px-Im194905LightCar-Romac_zpsef28bb69.jpg

email (option): csbajkuBUMBUMgmail.com

Seems everybody who collects Romac tins have been sniffing the glue!! So quiet on the subject now!! Anyway, found another tin, will take pictures tomorrow.

Re. the remark to get out more, am glad to be back home for a couple of days, as just back from 2 weeks liberating the south of France and Paris! 600 miles on a bloody Cushman, I must be insane! pictures will follow.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@wel•••.net

I bought another version of the Romac tin at Beaulieu, a little bigger in all dimensions than the "standard" pattern, again the bottom is made from recycled metal, possibly a furniture polish tin?

I suspect the use of recycled metal makes it more likely to be later, at least mid war, and as this has the same use of red as Lex's tin I'm starting to think his could be later too?

There was another tin for sale at Beaulieu, it appeared to be the same dimensions as the standard tin but the label was printed paper rather than the printing straight on to the metal as normal. It could have been a wartime economy version? The price was a little more than I wanted to pay so I left it.

Rob

photo romac1_zps67392cc3.jpg

photo romac2_zpsce1a572c.jpg

photo romac3_zpsd7eacd11.jpg

Here's the other tin I have, but I thought it was postwar??

Cheers,

Lex

This is a Romac tin I got a few years back on ebay.

photo 2014-09-10101050_zps06ed1394.jpg

photo 2014-09-10101110_zps7aaa6eb7.jpg

What do you guys think? war/ postwar?

Cheers,

Leon

email (option): ljvbekkum@hotmail.com

The text on the side of the tin, "existing conditions may alter price and contents" makes it war time as far as I know. I have a similar one myself.

Henk

It would seem likely to me that the clause on the side relates to the post-1942 rubber shortages.

Yes, I would think so too.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Guys!

Post 1942, Leon that means that you have tree scissors and due to "existing conditions" no rubber patches to cut to size to fix your tyre, bummer.

Then I have to ask someone on an early bike.....and trade for a scissors

I'll trade you for the pointy pair of scissors!!

Cheers,

Lex

I now have a red-lined 'Half-a-Crown' tin with contents. It seems likely that if this is indeed from the late 1930s, its use would have continued until the wartime economy changes came into force.

For comparison, I've shown it beside a 'One Shilling' tin which has an identical style except for the lack of red in the printing.

photo PA101198_zps1qgtcdg6.jpg

Contents are pretty much as per Lex's, although the sheet is black. The solution bottle doesn't include red in the design and the pointed scissors seem correct. brush is Romac branded.

photo PA101192_zpsjvb1zfzg.jpg

It seems to have been standard procedure at Romac to re-use offcuts of printed tinplate for the bases - this one was from a packaging that cost 3'6d...presumably the Rols-Royce kit.

photo PA101197_zpski6m6jhh.jpg

Oh, how I just loooove this thread !

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

And there was me thinking these were rare... ..(or does this thread contain the entire world supply?)...

Far too much rivet counting for me, but interesting nevertheless...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'm made up with this thread. At least I now know that there are people out there more barking mad than I am!!

i think i made a bargian, for a change! just bought a pair of pointed scissors for 2.99.....
still missing the wire brush thou. someone has one for sale?

clive sammut

i think i made a bargian, for a change! just bought a pair of pointed scissors for 2.99.....
still missing the wire brush thou. someone has one for sale?

Oh No! They'll be going for £300 on ebay now!

never mind collecting military motorcycles it got to be Romac tyre repair tins there seems to be hundreds of different sizes

I use this site https://imgbb.com/ copy and paste from the HTML full linked (Embed code menu)

It might be an idea to start a fresh thread as this one has got long with deleted pictures. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh dear lots of my images missing from this tread since I fell out with photobucket, hopefully these are the missing ones?

Rob

Image1

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

romac1

romac1a

romac2

romac3

romac3a

I would say the sharp scissors are wartime.
The blunt scissors are peace time :joy: :joy:

Nieuwe pagina 1