Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo gearbox

Hi Folks.
My 16h purchases are arriving daily from around the globe !
Today\\\'s item is a speedo gearbox, my speedo hasn\\\'t arrived yet but I think it may turn the wrong way (anti clockwise) as I have civilian forks with the brake drum on the right !
Is it possible to change the internal gears or will I need to source another ?
Cheers Stu

email (option): stuartcameron66@hotmail.com

Re: Speedo gearbox

The speedo should turn anti-clock. The drive is the awkward part, for left hand side wheel fitting it will turn clockwise viewed from the top. The wrong drives will turn anti-clock viewed from the top. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Ian
When my front wheel rotates forward the cable drive turns anti clockwise ! So it won't work ?
Iv'e always had trouble with those tests where multiple gears move and you have to work out the directions !

Cheers Stu

Which ever way the cable rotates then the speedo dial is calibrated the same way, if it is different it's cheaper to change the drive unit.

Which ever way the cable rotates then the speedo dial is calibrated the same way, if it is different it\'s cheaper to change the drive unit.

I just pulled apart a war model chrono that had an anticlockwise movement, It had an idler gear fitted like some tachos? Anyway i removed the idler gear and converted it back to normal. It had a cheap bakelite drive gear which i swapped for a proper steel one. Other odd things about were that everything was rivetted instead of using threads and nuts? It's dated 1941.

I'd never come across a reverse action speed until I restored my Enfield WD/L. Model G's are the same. Apparently some pre war Enfield's had this. Maybe other makes/models? I actually know of two model G's where the owners have put the wheel in the wrong way round to drive a standard speedo.
David Woods came to my rescue by adding an idler wheel to my standard speedo to reverse the action.
Ron
 photo WDL150_zps793d7685.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Well that explains it then Ron. Thanks.

Thanks guys
I'll check the direction once the speedo arrives , I thought I read somewhere the gearbox gears could be reversed !
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers Stu

It is also possible to rework the gears on the speedo to make it work on a pre war model if you need to go that way

Regards

CArl

email (option): carl.chezz@cwgsy.net

Gday All
Thank you for all your suggestions!
Gearbox is definately the wrong direction (left hand mounted) for my needs, so if anyone has a right hand mounting gearbox and they're up for a swap (or sell) here's mine !
 photo IMAG0575_zps2ad2b12a.jpg
If i can't get a r/hand one i'll look into getting the speedo gears altered !
Cheers Stu

Quick update, found a civvy gearbox in France, and sold my wd one to a chap doing up a Royal Enfield !
Thanks again
Stu

Hello Stuart.Are you sure you have the correct front brake plate on your bike?.It seems to me if you fit that speedo drive you wont be able to use the front stand.And how are you going to connect up the front brake?.Perhaps when they put the civvy girders on they kept the army wheel and just turned it around.Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

Hi Sam
Thanks for replying!
I looked at turning the wheel around but the brake cable socket would still be on the R/hand side, im not too concerned about the front stand but ill need the brake !
i didnt think about possibly having the wrong plate, will investigate tomorrow !
Cheers Stu

photo IMAG0610_zpsb1f07d79.jpg
After Sam's input (much appreciated) i took this shot using the rule where the cable routes, if the front stand stays where it is i'm thinking this plate will be ok ?
Cheers Stu

Nieuwe pagina 1