Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First : Do no harm .

all vey true. Growing up in Australia one could be assured that any work in a mechanic business was done by a tradesman. Here in USA, not so. Having said that, today\'s shop mechanics do not understand our high-tech complicated machines. What are breaker points? Whats this whirring thing with little arms that spread out when the engine revs? Whitworth - who is that? Sorry, we dont stock inner tubes all our tires are tubeless and metric.. What\'s a torque wrench? We don\'t lace wire wheels here, not sure if anyone around does that anymore...

The point I\' trying to make is that when restoring vintage and classics, there ios no recognized trade course. We all need to do our own research from the interweb or from net friends.

Restoring a motorcycle is much more than just mechanical things though. It needs attention to detail, and a deep knowledge of the project. 20 years ago, it was virtually impossible to rebuild an olb bike without any experience. But now we a plethora of great forums and sites ready to teach the novice and not-so-novice online.

Having been a rider for 40 years, I only eeer attempted basic maintenance on my rides. The, for a hobby, bought a \'74 BMW R90/6. It was packed away in bxes, covered by rust and came with a box of weird nuts bolts washers,

Asfter a year glued to several great rebuilding sites and finding good sellers of parts online as well as the odd bit from Ebay, I managed to bolt her together (properly torqued)and now have an original machine along with some \"boffin approved\" accessories. My success spurred me on to rebuild other bikes and now have about 30 other bikes in that sort of state and feel confident there will be one of more forums that can help when I\'m stuck.

SO the restore and rebuild profession will always be a mixture of those who don\'t know or care, to those systematially learning what to do step by step, to those who are truly the artist in the business. Buyer beware

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59qdvg1gy1igutj/AAAOnO2A1X3oEzVhoPBGli71a/IMG_2114.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59qdvg1gy1igutj/AABhQE4FxLt4_EeZMYlME-PRa/BMW%20after.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59qdvg1gy1igutj/AAAyZLKESSO84A6TxLZO9-LBa/before.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59qdvg1gy1igutj/AACQsEq5FTp8npIusAKdpew1a/after.jpg

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Ian Wright
These days anyone can be a builder...You just need a bag of suitable tools..and anyone can be a carpenter, or a gardener etc. etc.....

The demise of the apprenticeship in the UK, whereby you could not do a job at all unless you had completed a recognised apprenticeship of 4-5 years, ensures that many \'tradesman\' (a misuse of the term) don\'t even have the basic skills required...

Motorcycle maintenance and restoration is no different unfortunately....People with few relevant background skills or any engineering experience can set themselves up as a motorcycle mechanic/restorer...

I would suggest the effect on the quality of what is on offer is both inevitable and entirely predictable....

When I started in Engineering you couldn\'t get a job in a factory (or many other trades) without the relevant qualifications...

That all changed due to the fact that the people who run this country don\\\'t actually recognise manual skills as something that warrants either protection or preservation or meaningful qualifications as a necessity....

If the bike on offer wasn\'t being sold through the \'trade\' then none of the above applies...

In that case you are simply describing the effects of the obvious variations in standards that will be apparent in a hobby full of willing amateurs with varying skills, budgets, facilities and motivation...

Despite this, it\'s possible for the end results to be very similar...In both situations some people will have the skills/knowledge and some won\'t..Ian

SO what makes you think you are Robinson Carouso ?

With the demise of democracy and the rise of adversarial two party politics most politicians are University graduates in non scientific - engineering schools. thus they have no fundamental understanding of either.
They did not back in days of the decline of BSA and i has only gotton worse since then.
Australia no longer has a minister for science, for the first time since federation.
As a lot of pollies have a law degree they do undestand law so have passed laws that make it impossible to be an independant tradesman and this follows on from the philosophy that they only want BIG business because it is easier to negotiate with 3 large enterprises than 3000 small ones.

Next the decission to abandon all government enterprises means that there are no organizations like railways, shipyards & navy depots to train apprentices and then they regulations covering employing apprentices has become such an onerous task that few companiws with less than 20 staff in personnel can actually get through the paperwork.Then we decided that we were going to be "THE SMART COUNTRY" so every one was going to do 10 years of high school and go on to university regardless of the actual IQ or even interest of the students themselves.

Finally we have a corperate structure that only allows people with commerce , accounting or law qualifications to get to any reasonable level of management so even if you had a passion for manual work, you have no future persuing it so it is not hard for students to see a total numbskull with the right qualification can pull 10 to 100 times tha average wage while high skilled trades people long term will be pushing it uphill to earn more than the dloe over the long term.

As for the quality of work.
I know 2 professional restorers who paint wheels, fully assembled and one of them even leaves the tyres on.
They look spectacular when finished & get sold ( at auction ) for very big bucks, usually to collectors or investors who will never ride them so never know how badly they were done and both of these are fully qualified trades men who have run their own shops for many years before retiring into restoration.

There have and always will be bodgers who tart things up and flog off garbage.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Hi

I was interested in the variety of views expressed in the replies to this interesting subject, and have to admit as having been caught out myself - something I kick myself for.

Basically I took on trust the pictures (of course a picture never lies does it!), the persons apparent reputation and the extensive list of work undertaken, which in fairness most had been done. It was one of those situations where distance and work precluded my normal fastidious investigations. Bottom line, although supposedly fully restored and running it was obvious it had not been run since having been reassembled and the work only partially completed, something which shrouded some potentially dangerous issues . It remained unwired, all the wiring was in the correct position but no connections had been made, the horn and regulator (seen in photos were missing), the petrol tank had so much dried sludge in the bottom it fill a large jar when the tank was cleaned. The carburettor slide was jammed solid, in a position which was clearly historic and clearly prevented it functioning, in fact the carburettor required a complete rebuild. More significantly the front wheel race/bearing was barely moveable making a seizure inevitable if the bike had been ridden. It had been painted where you could see in most places etc etc etc. The list goes on and on!

Basically I stripped it down and started from scratch, the result after much painstaking work and extra expenditure a lovely bike. I kick myself as I have been restoring vehicles for over 40 years and should have known better - all that glitters is not gold!

Anyway - just a personal rant, and agreement with all the other comments.

Andy

email (option): a.tizzard@btopenworld.com

I never buy running bikes, preferring to start off with a non runner/basket case and then going through it comprehensively to ensure everything is attended to correctly....

In fact I'm probably the bloke you want to buy a bike off... ..

I'm known for being 'fussy' and never really accept that anyone will do the work the way I like it done..

As I've always used my bikes as my main form of transport there's no faking it...Something that's badly repaired, not replaced, outside of spec. or replaced with a poor quality component will be the thing that brings it all to a grinding halt ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Trevor, my WD16H wheels were painted complete...In the factory records for the WD machines, it states: "All wheels built up before enamelling..."

In the name of historical accuracy, I had to do the same.

Wasn't Robinson Caruso the Italian opera singer that got marooned on a desert island?... ....Ian

Rik
Trevor, my WD16H wheels were painted complete...In the factory records for the WD machines, it states: "All wheels built up before enamelling..."

I'm sure it doesn't mean painted after the tyres have been fitted! But it would explain why my spokes are painted

Rik

Your bike was only meant to run for a few years and some specs for things like barage equipment were only expected to work for a day or two so paint cracking around the rims , flaking off and letting water in was not a great problem when compared to shrapnel .
However a fully restored veteran bike will be expected to run for a long time before the spokes pull through the rusted dimples in the rim.

The reason why I have a shed full of "projects" is like Ian I only buy bikes in two conditions
registered & running or In need of total rebuild.
Way back when I had hair & teeth I bought several BSA's that had just "had a bottom end job done" only to find out a little latter on that the bottom ends were cactus so the vendor though a bottom end job was cleaning the sump gauze.
From then on in any bike bought had factored into the price a partial if not full rebuild.

Want to know how many times I have pulled some ones pistons to find oversized rings on a center punched piston one if not two sizes too small for the bore.

in the first 5 years running the M20 I would have spent an easy $ 5000 bringing it up to reliable rideable condition.
The previous owner had supposedly ridden it regularly then put it into storeage for several years while overseas.
Some of the receipts were quite interesting.
From a motorcyle repairer $ 80 turning a gudgeon pin and $ 140 for a new piston including machining.
This was a local sand cast blank of dubious quality and definately not degassed at a time when genuine WM20 pistons could be bought from a dozen or more shops for $ 10 usually in a box complete with a second set of rings.
$ 55.00 for relining the brake shoes ( pop riveting the wrong linings ) when you could go to any brake & clutch shop & have a set bonded on for 14.00 .

As they say in Yorkshire..'There's nowt s' strange as folk'..('There's nothing as strange as people')....

It can certainly be hard to see the logic in the decision making process sometimes....
However, I often think people get 'fleeced' because a) they don't bother to do their 'homework' in terms of what's available and b)they rarely seek a second opinion...Ian

Well we all know just how long it takes to do a proper job on a bike even if you are a good machinist , have all the gear that you could need, all of the special factory tools that take hours off rebuilds snd s shed with every part you are
likely to need.
Yet if you frequent the electronic classifieds you will see more than one "restorer" floggin off 1 or more brand new restorations every month and many of these bods are 1 man operations .
Unless they are like Neil Young's rust , which never sleeps , eats, goes to the loo

Nieuwe pagina 1