Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: War & Peace show

Speak to ferg , He posts on here, N.O.B.S. I'm sure He will Welcome your bike to their display Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmale.com

It's a pity Richard and a few others did not make our display area as the m/c attendance was, err, underwhelming! It's a herding cats job and am not sure I will bother next year if no-one else really wants to support it. Although to be fair, the attendance all round appeared to be well down with the consensus being that what with Normandy and Arnhem this year, folk are short of time, money and enthusiasm. Anyhow, if folk really do want a WW2 bike park, I will lay something on next year, but if the horse is dead, it will not be flogged. But as usual there was a fantastic variety of m/v's and if you were into carriers, the largest post-war gathering to date. Some folk seemed to be disappointed with the stalls and it may be the case that as with m/c jumbles there is a finite amount of good stuff and we are down to (mostly) tat. But I came across quite a few good DR items and several really good DR coats. Prices were high (as usual) generally but some bargains to be had with haggling. The weather was War & Peace HOT! But dust was not a problem due to wind and soft ground and all the grass seeding done over last year. I de-camped last night in the dry so I could get kit sorted and put away today but I gather the thundery rain today has made the site messy. But it stood up well in the week. The food selection is now pretty good; drink prices reduced for wristband holders; toilets and showers kept clean constantly; access round site improved, etc. So it's going in the right direction, I think for an event that has to be a commercial success. Ferg

It was partly the temperature on Friday that nearly beat me. It is a tad expensive also. At nearly 20 quid to get in and nearly a tenner for two pints of cider. However I did enjoy the Spitfire tea rooms......I could have stayed there all day
I met up with a good few English and Dutch friends. I also spent some considerable time with the afore mentioned Carrier group. Many of whom I have spoken to for years but met for the first time on Friday. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

We thought about attending this year, but decided not to..........

Attended last year for a day, but it took us 2 & 1/2 hours to get there, so after the drive and early start I was pretty knackered..........

Then there was the heat ! By 1.30 we had only covered a third of the stalls, and went off in search of refreshment.......after that, we attempted to find the bike group but gave up after an hour of walking, heat and dust........and then a 2 & 1/2 hour drive back.............

Cost of admission doesn't bother me too much.........for the average premier air-show nowadays you are talking £25-30 each so pretty good value.......but the extra distance and time to the new venue is a real killer........even on a good day, at legal speeds it's no "20 minutes up the road further on"......more like another hour !! And that proved to be the killer for us.............add to that the heat, so we won't be going again unless staying overnight and we'd need a good 3 days to get round it all.....................

Several friends I spoke to (bike owners) had similar "logistical" issues and at the height of the season, in-between Normandy and Goodwood, I feel that numbers will always be inherently limited at this show.........

Ferg, I did try and find you!(where were you ?) I was there Thurs to Sunday, but I ended up camping in Kitcheners Field which is on the other side of the site and only got over to Pattons field and the Living history area a couple of times. The bike was stranded at the tent saturday and sunday as the field entrance was atrocious and as I have only just finished her recently I didn't fancy getting her muddy (I know, I am a wuss!)
Highlight for me was the ride out on Friday..good weather and a nice cool pint at the local!

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Well I did urge everyone to contact me via email before and those who did got my mobile number. More I cannot do. The pitch was 100 yards from last year\'s. Hey ho.

Finally home today from the W&P and extended family visit to Sussex on the way home.

I found very little bike stuff, a WW1 ear GPO bicycle head lamp, a couple of MK5 bicycle hubs from an Irishman and a lovely set of broad arrow stamped files for my motorcycle fitters tool kit made the days of searching the stalls worthwhile.

And it was nice to see my old Morris Commercial gun tractor there, she was looking a bit sad but at least is still being used.

I also didn't find the WD bike display but I did meet some local forum members who by shear coincidence camped right next to us on the day before we left.

A good week.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1