Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NOVA???

Unless iam missing something, why tell them its imported, Just found it in a barn would be my answer to that one,age proven on a register , club dating cert, photographs ect ect there is always someone trying to pixx on your firework Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I agree with Andrew, it was made in this country so easier not to say anything and register it as you would any other Brit bike.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I don't think this is about registering a vehicle you know to be imported...Rather a check on every vehicle that is being registered to determine whether it has been imported (or reimported)....NOVA is 'notification of vehicle arrival'...Non notification could mean avoidance of VAT and we can't have that...

This is probably targeted mainly at 'grey import' vehicles but as usual, the 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut' approach has been taken...

It's clear the bureaucrats are still busy creating jobs for each other in the quest to steal more of our money and to ensure their own survival...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This system is leaning towards "guilty till proven innocent", if a British built vehicle has never left Great Britain but has no documentation you could end up having to pay import duty just to get it registered, madness Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I am in the process of registering my wm20 . I have been told dvla will not issue a v5 until they have the all clear from HMRC. HMRC said you have to fill in the paper NOVA1 form and you can't do it online. I sent my Nova1 form off nearly 3 weeks ago and not heard anything yet. I sent a covering letter to say how i purchased it in the UK and I had a hand written receipt for the bike and explained it came out of a barn which it had been in for a long time.. Once i get some confirmation i can send off to DVLA WITH MY BSA owners club dating certificate. If I get anywhere soon I will let you know.
jeff

Yes the information I received from the MVT verification officer is that if you send an application to DVLA without a NOVA declaration. They will send your paperwork back to you. It makes no difference that the vehicle was built in UK and has never left these shores Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have just done a couple recently, the last two bikes would not go through the system without the dreaded number but as Ian says hmrc are just as fed up, unfortunately I have lost their telephone number but if you ring them as I did last year, give them your email address they send the form as an attachment which I kept, so I just print them off, its not too bad basically where you got the bike how much, auto jumble no receipt seemed fine but I always add a copy of the dating letter, and a picture of the sorry stated bike before i start,I use the vintage club for dating letter, last one for a bmw r25 was back in two weeks obviously no duty as it had been in this country 40 years[I did have a receipt for that bike] [pre import duty?] but typing this i hope its not the kiss of death for the one due back for my latest build a 1954 Norton, they have had the paper work just over a week.

Yes Arthur I just spoke to a nice guy at HMRC VAT (Ian on 0300 200 3700). He informed me that a declaration is not necessary on a vehicle that has not been imported. But that he'd heard that DVLA are still insisting on it. So he is going to email me the form NOVA1. I'll keep the information coming in case it might help others. Ron

I just printed mine off this link

http://www.lambretta.co.uk/downloads/nova-form.pdf

Dave

Yes Dave that's the one I received from HMRC. 7 pages to fill out. The guy at HMRC said I didn't need it as it's not an imported vehicle but he'd send it to me anyway. I've just got off the phone from DVLA who also tell me I don't need it. I queried if she was correct in this assumption, so she went and asked at the new registrations department, who also categorically stated that I do not need a NOVA declaration. I'll send it in as normal and see what happens.

Ron

Ron

just tell HMRC that the vehicle was "imported" more than 40 years ago and they'll note that and are then not interested. But the DVLA won't process your re-registration unless they have that notification from HMRC (NOVA) saying just that.

I had the same problem with my WM20 that had come from Cyprus (oddly enough) 40 years or so ago and I accidently said that it had been repatriated about 1972 at which point the nice young lady stated "oh well if it's over 40 years ago then it doesn't require NOVA completion" at which point I asked her to tell DVLA what she'd said. Within days I had my registration.

On-line it's impossible as the computer hasn't the option (why would anyone want to own up to importing a vehicle 40 years ago?? I can see the logic) so pick up the phone and get to speak to someone.

Rick

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Like I said Rick. I spoke to both HMRC and DVLA today and they both told me I don't need to declare NOVA. Why should I tell them it's been imported if it hasn't......So many conflicting reports
I'm going to try it without first and see what happens. Ron

The pernicious and inflationary VAT was a 'Common Market' requirement introduced in 1973 when Edward Heath sold Great Britain and its fishermen down the river....so no vehicle imported from anywhere prior to 1973 can have a VAT liability.

More recent imports from outside of the EU, even if of UK manufacture could have a VAT liability.

It would be wrong to lie and say that a vehicle has been imported if it has always been in the UK and as there had never been a requirement for continuous taxation until recently, the requirement to re-register a vehicle that the DVLA themselves arbitrarily de-registered is a perfectly reasonable request.

I thought I read somewhere that DVLA are no longer insisting on the NOVA declaration for vehicles with proof of pre-1973 manufacture. Maybe a call to DVLA might help...It's pot luck who you get to speak to though.

Rik
...It\'s pot luck who you get to speak to though.

I learnt this some time ago. Members of DVLA staff all seem to interpret the rules as they see fit. I had some absolute opposite decisions made by four different DVLA staff between Swansea and my local office, when I applied to have the 'A' prefix plate exchanged for age related on my Enfield WD/L.

Ron

My update. As I previously mentioned I had filled in a Nova1 form and sent a covering letter to HMRC . Today I revived a reply from HMRC to say they had reviewed my request and that I am not liable to VAT and I can now register my bike with DVLA My chassis number is now on the HMRC database and there is also a notification reference number .
In the end it has not been to much inconvience ,took about 3 weeks in the end .
Jeff

Nieuwe pagina 1